Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flavoured mayonnaise

Options
  • 30-06-2024 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭

I have started to make my own flavoured mayonnaise and am wondering is this a common thing to do?

I just buy a jar of Hellemans( full fat) and add my ingredients before putting the meal out.

My ingredients are (lots of) crushed garlic and dried tarragon but I have started branching out into turmeric , fresh parsley and mint(along with the first ingredients)

Seems such an easy thing to do (chilli powder?)

Does anyone else do this or think it ssounds good.

I normally put this out with fish but I don't see why it wouldn't work with meat or other meals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Well...I usually mix mayonnaise with ketchup.…and it's great...it doesn't seem like unusual thing to do...it seems more like you're making a mountain out of a molehill lol 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes I thought of adding tomato.

Seems to me like a really easy and quick way of trying out flavour combinations.

I am glad it is not unusual but it has taken me over 50 years of cooking to come up with the idea on my own steam(I should get out more :-)

Edit how do you get emoticons on this site?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭squonk

It’s standard enough. Add mustard and honey. There are heaps of recipes fur various dips involving mayonnaise as a base. The last thing I did was to mix up some rad al ha out with mayonnaise. Fantastic as a dip or adding to chicken in a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One of my first cooking adventures as a young adult was mixing up my own version of garlic mayonnaise to have with crudities! (very posh!). I think it was just Helman's chopped garlic and crushed chillies with raw carrots and peppers. That's a while ago 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Mayo with a blob of gochujang is particularly good. Or a dose of pesto. Or sriracha. Or yoghurt, garlic power, garlic paste, oregano, salt and a dash of water to get it more kebabshop style…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I like to add a bit of curry powder. Must start making my own mayo though. Hellman's is a little pricey these days.

We had some Polish mayo on the shelves a while back at half price but haven't seen it since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's nice, but I find it a bit sweet. Same with the Kewpie.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mayo, Dijon mustard, splash of white wine vinegar and some grated garlic, salt and pepper makes a delicious dressing for potato salad.

Swap out the Dijon for whole grain mustard for a variation. Lovely on a burger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

Mayonnaise with sweet chilli sauce and wholegrain mustard is a very tasty and versatile mayo, and is a great base for dressings. Can add anything to that base to take it in whatever direction you want (though it is a sweet start depending on mix quantities) - I like to add horseradish sauce/ tartare sauce/ thousand island dressing/ smoke paprika/ tomato relish/etc.

The one recommendation I would give is to loosen the base and create a dressing use the brine from pickle jars - some of these are really tasty, just experiment with the ones you get in the supermarkets. I am probably OT already, sorry. With mayonnaise just try whatever and taste as you go - chop capers in, or sundried tomatoes. All fair game. I bought he hellmans coronation mayo recently and that is quite nice. I might try to make that from scratch when it runs out (read the bottle ingredients and go frankenstein on it).

• Advertisement

I didn't find that and I am always complaining about things being too sweet.(I often put things back if there is any added sugar at all)

I like the Darina Allen or the Bunalun mayos but I can't get them any more in my local shop.

It is actually the easiest thing in the world to make your own but then what do you do with the whites?(no interest in pavlovas or soufflees)

Advertisement