Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this an old fridge or something else?

Options
  • 30-06-2024 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is a fridge like when it's old?

I have an undercounter fridge that sometimes make a loud noise. Also I have a weird smell from behind my fridge that comes and goes. I don't know if it's the fridge or if I have a dead rodent under the floorboards and the fridge compressor warms up the dead body and then it smells. The smell comes and goes and it's been going on for 3 months and driving me insane.

I did have signs of rodents behind my fridge a few months ago. There was droppings behind the fridge. So not sure what is causing the smell now as rodents are gone and the smell comes and goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

sometimes the smell can be from the drain and container at the back or the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I use drain cleaner every few weeks, just in case it's the drain. And I don't have a drip pan at the back of my fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I used to get a smell like fish from the back of my fridge years ago. It was some of the plastic when the fridge got warm it started to smell. When the fridge cooled the odour went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, he's talking about the auto-defrost drain which many fridges have. The back panel of the fridge often drains into a 'gutter' at the bottom, and this ends up filling with debris and stuff and can smell, especially if the fridge door seal is damaged and the fridge is letting in excessive moisture.

The drain often empties out onto a plastic tray which sits on top of the warm compressor, and this then creates a swamp of slime over time.

Best defrost the whole fridge, pull it out and then clean out all of the drain and see if you can see the whether that's the cause, or whether a furry friend has decided on the natural route of cremation by dessication...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I don't actually have this plastic tray on top of my compressor. I don't have one at all. Can a creature get caught in the fridge 😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you can see the compressor and it's all clear, then no, I'd doubt that it's a furry fella caught in the works.

Advertisement