Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Problem

Options
  • 30-06-2024 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. I have an electric shower that I use for a hair salon backwash basin. Its attached to the wash basin and has worked grand for 20 years.

Just before Christmas ( November) the over flow activated and flooded the place. Plumber said unit needed to be replaced. So he replaced it.

Then last week same thing happened and contacted Triton showers and engineer replaced the valve. All good for a few days , but yesterday valve popped again!

I have noticed the water pressure is very strong lately so wondering is that the problem? Or does the hose need replacing? There no kinks that I can see and the shower head seems ok.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sounds like one for @Sleeper12 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What exactly is the overflow? Is it the pressure release device? This would allow water to flow from a small tube situated beside where the shower hose comes out of the shower.

What shower head are you using? Some heads that come with a backwash basin have a stop start button for the water. These heads can't be used with an electric shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fireanta

.Yes the pressure release device. The water was pouring out from underneath the shower unit from a little tube at the bottom. The plumber said the valve was activated possible due to a build up of pressure. Said maybe the hose was kinked or stood on or a blockage in the shower head.

The original installer attached the shower head belonging to the backwash basin to the hose of the shower unit. The Triton engineer said that was wrong that the original shower head should be used. But I have been using it that way for 20 years and never had a problem until now. There's no on and off stop start button on the shower head. I start the water using the button on the shower unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

Put up a photo

I'm not the best technically . Don't know how to put up a pic sorry.

But it's basically a Triton shower unit attached to the side of the backwash basin unit. Then the hose is connected to the shower head that came with the basin. It's a plain shower head with no buttons but neater and smaller than one you would have with the Triton shower. I have used it like that for 20 years. It was never a problem and it worked fine. Until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's definitely not a fault with the shower. The PRD is a very basic safety device. The only thing that can cause it is pop is a build up of pressure. The means a restriction on the water getting out of the shower. This leaves the hose and the head. I would suggest that using the genuine head that came with the shower will stop it from happening again

Ya I don't think it's the actual Triton shower either at this point. What I don't understand is why would the different shower head be causing a problem now after all the years of it working fine. I doubt I have the original head now tbh.

It could be the hose maybe alright. I'm sure that's the same one from the very beginning. There might be something wrong with it.

Another thing though is that the water pressure is extremely strong at the moment which it never used to be. Could that be a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Could it be clogged with sediment and stuff? Soak it in vinegar for an hour, might open up some of the pores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

The head could be clogged with limescale that has built up over 20 years as other poster said.

What water pressure are you talking about? Out of the shower head or other taps in the salon?

The water pressure is good out of other taps. But the pressure at the basin shower head was always medium/ easy flow. Lately it was extremely strong which was unusual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement