Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square bale wrapper

Options
  • 30-06-2024 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

SSeem not many around, any info on them or what to go for a small farmer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Do you mean a small square bale wrapper? Definitely not too common here but I see a lot on Facebook groups, I presume they are UK based farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭kincaid

You might get more helpful information from the small/conventional baler group on Facebook.

I've only ever seen small bales wrapped locally once.

No one uses them on here then

Maybe, but I'd say not many (I'd leave it more than a day though). Don't think too many here square bale at all. Definitely more talk about them on FB.

Are you looking to purchase one? there are a few on DoneDeal at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fulldnod

There is a man near birr that's rents them if that's any use to u

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ferryman35

I use one.…occasionally🤔

My one is a Tanco 404 - there were 3 models produced when Tanco used make them. A standard where you lift the bale on and off, a tipping model, and a trailed model with tip. Tanco also cuts and holds the plastic.

The McHale model.was a 995LM i think, and was like the standard model Tanco, and at least the ones I saw didnt hold the plastic - you had to tie it on to each bale.

Square bale haylage great stuff when you have it, but like anything to do with small squares, its hard work.

In my experience, the Tanco has a deeper bed, so will still wrap lighter bales, whereas they tend to fly off the McHale…the pull of the plastic has a bearing on this as well.

Plastic rolls come is 3 sizes, 250, 350ish, and 500mm - again the bigger the roll the bigger the pull on the bale - so its much better if you can get the smaller roll. Of course, when you are only doing a few hundred....you wouldnt be buying a pallet yourself, and not many stock the smaller plastic. A lot of plastic wasted when you use say the 500mm roll.

Mine is the tipping model 404, and it takes approx 3 min to wrap a bale (6 layers) - so 100 bales is going to be 5 hrs work, just on the wrap table alone. Thats why you often see the McHale in pairs - and tbh you kinda do need to have 2 going timewise, but you'd be fair fit after it.

If you wanted to try it out, there is a guy up Roscrea / Birr direction that hires out the McHale, and supplies plastic. I hired them once myself, but found that my bales were too light and I abandoned them after 3 or 4 bales - my bales werent that light! Also found tying the plastic a disaster.

The trailed tanco is probably the best option because it loads the bale itself, so you can make the bales heavy and tip them in bunches for gathering up. I did speak with a chap who had his set up with hydraulic power pack behind a quad, was a summer job for his young lad. I havent had the courage to buy one myself.....

Bales are very handy when you have them - idea was good, but its tough work unless of course you are into it on a big way and can afford to run a Tawi wrapper😊

YYes looking to buy but see them from 1500 to 5000 and wondering what to go for

Advertisement