Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy Trip Recommendations

Options
  • 30-06-2024 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Recommendations for a trip to Italy? 2 adults and 1 child around 3.

Hi there,

I'm looking for recommendations of places to go in Italy for about 10 days in August or September.

I have been to Amalfi coast, Naples, Venice and Milan so ideally none of those. Rome would be too busy too. I was thinking north Italy maybe but open to any options.

Ideally somewhere that is a good base city with lots to see that we can travel to other places on day trips or else split the trip into city A and City B for 5 days each.

Any recommendations welcome? I've heard great things about Florence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Ted222

Florence is beautiful but very hot in August. Not the easiest to navigate with a buggy.

Are you wedded to staying in cities? What about a seaside resort?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭FrankN1

I'm definitely open to seaside area either. Would be great to go somewhere big enough though that would have day trips from. It doesn't have to be Florence at all, just thought it could be a good base as it's in the middle of the Northern region.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

I wouldn't go to an Italian city in August, not only would it be too hot but they can he like ghost towns as all the locals escape in summer.

I'd recommend Lake Garda in Northern Italy. You could fly into Verona and actually that's lively in August with Opera etc and you could stay there for night or two then go onto the lakes.

Never been to Florence but it looks beautiful.

Just seen there that your child is 3 so I'd go very end of Aug/ Start of Sept then you will get a much better rate as all other families will have kids who are back in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you're planning on going to Italy in August avoid avoid avoid the time around "Ferragosto".

Why is that? Is it not just one day of public holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Early to mid August is usually when most Italians' take their holidays so the beaches, public transport will all be packed with locals, and you'll find that around that week a lot of smaller family run Cafe's and restaurants won't open..

Italians go on holidays in August to escape the hot cities so prices are higher. Late August or September would be better although the weather in September can be problematic in my experience. There can be a lot of rain after a long hot summer.

You might consider Viareggio on the Tuscan coast. It’s about 30 minutes by train from Pisa. It has a lot of managed beaches and a long promenade with loads of shops, bars, restaurants etc. I was there when my own son was 3 and I have great memories of how much he enjoyed the bucket-and-spade experience, hopping on to amusements and eating ice cream.

From viareggio, you can get trains to almost everywhere. North up to the cinque terre or across to Lucca where you can rent bikes and cycle the perimeter walls. A day trip to Florence is also very doable.

More locally, you can hire bikes or get the bus to neighbouring seaside towns like Lido di Camaiore or Marina di Pietresanta, another two seaside town.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭plhealy2000

We went to Bologna last year. Very good train network and you can get to Florence, Venice Rimini etc from there for day trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes to early/mid September is a great time to visit anywhere in Europe, once the schools have restarted!

Another yes to Lake Garda also. There is a big adventure park at Gardaland which your toddler (and you) might enjoy. Here's more….

https://mominitaly.com/gardaland/

As said above you could go to Verona for a day trip. You could also go to Venice for the day but it's a couple of hours on the train. Depends on what you want. The nearest train station to Gardaland is in Peschiera and there are many options for accommodation around there including campsites etc.

Another idea is to go to Padova (Padua) it is easily accessible from Venice airport and much cheaper than staying in Venice. It is a charming city with lots to see do and eat. The train from there goes direct to Venice in 30 mins. You can also get to Bologna, Ravenna and Verona from there.

Would there be enough to do Lake Garda as base for like 8 or 9 days and do a few day trips to Florence, Tuscany, Dolomites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well it depends on what you like to do I suppose. There is plenty to see around the Lake itself, but after seeing one or two lakeside towns you've seen them all! I can recommend Sirmione, Limone, and Malcesine, but really all the places around the lake are great. You can take a boat that traverses the lake and stops in all the lakeside towns, it's a good way to see them all even if you don't want to get off at every town along the way.

If you have a car, then the Dolomites are not far especially around Bolzano. Florence is a bit of a trek, but Bologna is nearer. Just have a look at the map and see what's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭dublin49

our last 2 trips were to Sicily and Puglia.Palermo is amazing but not really for a young child.Cefalu is nice resort I thought Ortigia in the South was the nicest resort with incredible Baroque architecture as well .

For Puglia we based in Lecce which has good rail links to all Puglia resorts.

What would be the best 'base' town/seaside area to stay in? Does Lake Garda have rail links with other places and allow us to do day trips? Or we could do Silicy for 5 days and then go to Lake Garda or something by train.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

FrankN1 have you been away much with the 3 year old? You seem to want to do a lot of siteseeing/ travelling at the height of summer?

I've a two year old and not a hope in he'll I'd be doing that amount.

We loved sightseeing as a couple but with two kids now it's a very different story.

We have been. We don't want to do too much and probably stay close to the lake or seaside so it would be cooler. The maximum we would be doing is 5 days in 2 locations with a direct train in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd recommend Lake Garda, we usually stay in a hotel in Peschiera del Garda but you could use one of the campsites there too. Smallish town, a few nice restaurants and shops. Trains to Venice and Verona. Driver around the lake, I've done it clockwise and anti clockwise, you'll never tire of the views. There is themed park up the road from you and you could drive to Malcesine and get the cable car to Monte Baldo, a day trio to the Dolomites is doable but it's a long journey with a 3yo. I've done a day trip to Innsbruck too but again a longish trip with young kids.

One word of warning, northern Italy (Swiss Alps region) has been hit by terrible rain and overflowing rivers in the last 10 days, some towns have been flooded, bridges damaged, Simplon pass is currently closed to traffic, etc.

Thanks a lot, would there be enough to do around Lake Garda for 8 days without a car? We don't want to be at a pool for 8 days but equally don't want to be doing day trips everyday. Something in between.

Other options is going to Lugano in Switzerland for 3 days and then maybe 5 days in Cinque de Terre region.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've always hired a car while there but my wife and her sisters and friend has stayed there twice without a car, there are boat buses on the lake, public transport from town to town and trains trips are an option. I've never stayed there with kids younger than late teens so not sure what's available for your 3yo. The lake is not really a sandy beach type lake if you're looking for something like that. The hotel we stay in has an outdoor pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

As you say August or September and have a child below school age, the first thing is to choose September. Then it will not be hot and crowds will be less and you have some possibility of visiting a city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement