Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUS scheme letter/part time job offer

• 30-06-2024 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I recently interviewed for a part time job and should hopefully know this week if I was successful. I think i have a good chance as it is the same job i had full time not long ago so I have experience.

Middle of the week I also received a letter 'inviting' me to apply for the TUS scheme. I have no interest in doing any of these schemes as there is practically no financial benefit, I did two of them before, Jobbridge and CE and they led nowhere. My other main concern is that the placements they have are not going to be anything to do with my degree or past experience at work because it's a small rural town. Last thing they offered me was cutting grass and 'environmental duties' on housing estates, it's basically community service for the crime of being unemployed in my eyes.

The Intreo officer told me at a previous meeting that getting part time work would get him off my back and not have to go to the meetings with him.

If I get offered this part time job will I be able to avoid TUS? I have one week left to send the letter back.

I really feel like it's quite devious how they send these letters asking you to apply without telling you anything about what the role would be or where it is located. If you tick YES you basically have to take whatever they give you, if you tick NO I'm assuming they cut off your dole.

It has a space for you to give reasons for not wanting to do the scheme but I have heard if you tick NO it doesn't matter what you put down they will cut you off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

I think you're still eligible even if working part time. Everyone knows that nobody wants to do those pointless TUS type courses. They would have you doing them when it's much better for you to be doing something else that will actually stand to you. You will have to play ball and just go along so boxes can be ticked. If it looks like they are going to throw you into somewhere there will usually be an interview first. I'm sure you can come up with ways to blow the interview. You can probably make yourself look undesirable in the TUS interview if you are catching my drift…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

you can tick no if you & give your reasons why it's not going to be any benefit to you, etc. they don't automatically cut you off for saying no.

but in this case it might actually be worth it, if you get a part time job you'll only get a welfare payment for the days you don't work but if you're on tus/ce you'll get your full payment for it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I appreciate you guys taking time to respond but I'm afraid neither of you really have a full understanding of the scheme vs part time work, I will probably just have to ring up someone and ask. Of course the letter conveniently does not have an actual human brings name or phone number on it. The whole thing is very opaque. It's awful how they treat people just sending them a letter saying you have to apply for something but we won't tell you what it is or where it is, there's no one to talk to about it, but if you say no we can cut your social welfare. It's one click away from forced labour IMO.

It's not a course first of all. And if I'm working part time during the week I'm not really able to take part in the scheme as it will be different days.

Secondly, part time work is definitely going to be better for me financially than getting 27.50 on top of the dole. If I work 2 days I get paid 2 days wages and keep 3/5ths of my social welfare payment. I'll be like 70 euro better off for working 2 days and I'm guessing the 19.5 hours on the scheme is spread out over more than 2 days so I would be commuting wherever it is more days. The job is a 10 minute walk from my house.

Beyond that, this job is the same position I held at my last workplace so I will be better suited to it then whatever random thing they put me into with TUS - in a small rural town the options are not likely to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

mightn't have made it clear but i was saying that doing tus + your part time job will be better financially than part time dole + PT job. if you work 2 days you'll only get 4 dole, but if on tus/ce keep the full payment while working pt.

259.50+pt wages vs 154.67+pt wages. should look into it to see if anything suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What is your degree in?

Have you had any luck at all getting interviews for jobs related to your degree?

Were you made redundant from the full time position?

• Advertisement
Advertisement