Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E- Bike recommendations?

• 30-06-2024 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I would ideally be looking for

- At least 25 km/h minimum speed 

-A reliable bike (sturdy, low maintenance)

-Good online presence if I needed to purchase a part for the bike / general repairs 

- Looking to spend €1,500 or less as I’m also considering in the long term costs of maintenance. 

I’m 6ft in height exactly, using the bike to commute to work, city commute paths good/even. 

Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

- At least 25 km/h minimum speed 

'legal' e-bikes have a maximum allowed power assist of 25km/h; above that, it's considered a moped, not a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I wonder are you allowed in Irish law the extra 10% under the European standard which would make 27.5 Km/hr the actual allowed maximum speed ?

(EN 15194:2017, 4.2.11)
    The electrical motor assistance shall stop when the EPAC reaches a speed
    of 25 km/h or lower values or lower speed if limited by design.
    The maximum speed for the EPAC which the electric motor gives
    assistance shall not differ by more than +10 % from the maximum assistance
    speed indicated in the marking required by EN 15194:2017, 5 when determined according to the test method described in EN 15194:2017, 4.2.11.2.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

- Looking to spend €1,500 or less as I’m also considering in the long term costs of maintenance. 

I'd spend more if long term costs are your concern, buying better quality will save you money in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,614 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

0 kph is the minimum speed, nothing can change that.

25 kph is the maximum legal speed for which you can get assistance, but you can go as fast as you want (provided you are able to pedal it to that speed)!

Post edited by machiavellianme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

But many ebike's are sold compliant with the European standard which allows the speed to differ by an extra 10%, which make 25kph +10% =27.5 the maximum speed that assistance stops and some take advantage of this and this may account as one reason as to why some ebikes are faster than others and may still be legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Have a look at the Rockrider EST 500 from Decathlon. I have the EST 900 - its a cracking bike for the money https://www.decathlon.ie/p/324286-158613-275-hardtail-electric-mountain-bike-e-st-500-black.html

Advertisement