Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2024 - Round 12 - British - Silverstone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭waynescales1

P7, P8 for AM, step in the right direction this weekend for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Some drive from Hulk

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

What a race. What a drive from Hamilton.

And now time to avoid the British media till lights out at Hungary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jaysus. Lewis is going wild with emotions here. And he deserves it. Well done to him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Well done Lewis great drive, well done Merc great strategy. But best of all, Max’s lead increased again. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Happy for Hamilton, raced well and a long time coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

one of the best races in a while…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Longing

Yes great drive from Lewis well done. I'm just happy to see the smug smile of Zak clown face. He didnt come on to talk to much after the went to wets and hung Oscor out to dry and destroyed his race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Great drive from Hamilton. Some big mistakes there from McClaren with Piastri pit and Norris going to softs.

Another day to forget for Ferrari, disastrous qualifying compounded by some bad strategy calls today.

Crazy that Hamilton hasn't won a race since jeddah 2021

He’s waited an awful long time for a win. Fair play to him. Looks like that Merc is on the way up just as he’s on the way out. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Overall an average race. Could have Been do much better. Needed more rain.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Fair play to Lewis, lovely drive. Max finished ahead of Lando and extends lead so all good.

Delighted for Zak Brown also 😂😂😂

And Lewis is soaking it all in. And who could deny him that moment. He won Driver of the day after he won at Silverstone as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hulk did very well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That was a cracking race, enjoyed it. Credit to Hamilton, right tyres at the right time, drove well and did exactly what he needed to.

McLaren absolutely shot themselves in the foot though, missed opportunity for them. Should have double stacked Piastri at the first stop and too much debate on the radio for the last one with Norris. Just needed someone to be decisive and make a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Longing

Max delighted with 2nd you can see it on his face

RB absolutely need to be ruthless and get rid of Checo this week. Probably worst driver on the grid currently

• Advertisement

Great race for the two Astons,Hulk,Tsunoda and Albon. Piastri should be livid with Mclaren, he was completely shafted. Horrendous for Leclerc and Checo, Checo really needs to get a handle on things if it isn't too late already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Great win by Lewis - hope he can do the same for us next season 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mun1

max homing in on title number 4 .
    He looks delighted with todays result .

With a bit more luck over the weekend , he could have bagged the win .

Would Red Bull put Lawson in there for a bit? Checo is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭McFly85

Really enjoyable race and fully deserved for Hamilton in ever changing conditions, managed his tires very well in the last stint too.

Max delighted with his result, probably didn’t envisage getting that at the start of the day!

McLarens strategy was a disaster today though, all big calls wrong. Left Piastri out a lap too late for the first stop and Lando out a lap too late for the second, was really surprised they didn’t go on the medium either.

And another 6th place for Hulkenberg!

Ye, I’d go with Lawson for sure.

I’d be fairly certain Checo knows his days are numbered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

Great win for Hamilton. I wonder if he has any regrets leaving the team, now that they look to have finally closed the gap to Red Bull?

Lovely interview by Hamilton, bit of a class act these days

How are Lewis chances of winning more races as we are now through half way through the season?

I would say that they will look more favourable for the 12 races. He could be a contender for getting more race wins this year while he is going up against Max & Lando.

Although if Mercedes suffer the inevitably of going through a winners curse after winning at Silverstone; it will hurt the team more if they don't place a lot more focus into making their cars more winnable again.

They have the ability to do it. They have the experience to do it.

With 2 wins on their books this year; will Mercedes make their winning streak stick to their team once again after that huge win is Silverstone is now done and dusted? Could they go for win No.3 in Hungary?

After Ferrari's win with Charles at Monaco. They have lost their focus a bit in sticking to getting a winning performance in their cars again. Their drivers are seeing performances defects in their cars which has not been favourable to their season.

McClaren have been vying to get more wins on their watch after Lando won in Miami. However it has been tricky for them to get them onto a solid footing while they edging up against Red Bull in Imola and in Austria last weekend. McClaren have been getting podiums after Miami has come and gone. But the chances of getting that win on the top step on the podium is still near but yet so far.

Lando was saying on Sky Sports & Channel 4 that he is getting fed up with not getting more wins under his belt. The disappointment in his face says it all. Lando wants to win more races throughout the season. But it appears that he is getting more impatient now as he has the car to potentially win more races.

All I can say is that it has been a mad, mad season so far. It has been so open and so varied for all of the fans who have watched all of the unfolding drama in the sport this year. It has given us a greater level of excitement to see more of that drama potentially unfold to further decrease the chances of another Red Bull clean sweep being won under their belts. I hope that it will get better for us all over again as we head towards the Autumn and Winter.

It has a been a blast so far & I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Absolutely delighted for Lewis there. That win meant everything to him. Well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nut job politicians thrown out, their soccer team hanging in, top 3 lock out on the grid, British winner. Fair to say it's been a good weekend for England.

English winner 🤓 I wish they would cut that British bullshit out.

His nationality is English

Liam lawson running in last years Red Bull next week apparently. Checo won't be there at Spa

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the final nail in Checos RedBull career

Today is irrelevant really. They took a punt and it backfired but I think it's Already a done deal i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

Did they say who made the call to put Lando on Softs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’m guessing Lando. They were asking him as late as when he was coming in what tyre he wanted! It was clear to me he was unsure what to do and that’s the point the team should have made a call on it, and they’d been speaking about Mediums only a few laps before and I’d be inclined to think that’s what they’d have called! And likely won the race IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I think the same. Lando would have had the legs on Lewis and Max if he opted for Medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I am no Hamilton fan but fair play to him on that one.

Mad race, Norris will be kicking himself for not going the mediums at the end.

And now, we get to hear about this race win for an eternity…yay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I thought it was a great race, but perhaps the bar has just been set too low.

It would have been good to have another few laps, Max was catching Lewis another lap and he'd have had DRS on him, would have been good to see the battle again.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't think it'd have been much of a battle. Much like Max passed Lando, it would've been similar with Lewis. He'd breeze past with DRS

This was another race win thrown away by Norris and McLaren as well. Why they didn’t fit the mediums is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just watched race now, the podium celebration is on.

Some observations:

1. Great to see Lewis win again. He truly deserved it.
    2. Some turnaround from Mercedes recently, 3 teams fighting for wins now.
    3. Sky can jog on with their coverage. I get their British, but jesus christ.
    4. There's obviously some acrimony between Lewis and Mohammed Bin Sulayem. He went over to Lewis when he was being weighed at end, Lewis wanted nothing to do with him, and very brief when he got his dopey winners medal.
    5. McLaren need to learn how to win. They screwed both drivers with their strategy, and should have just told Lando to take the mediums.
    6. Lewis was stone cold in the cool down room when he told Lando he'd have taken the mediums.
    7. More races with mixed weather please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He was catching bum quick on the last lap but was that just Lewis taking it easy on the last bends knowing he had it? It had been a steady 2+ seconds for the previous few laps.

As for the race, if that isn't a great race I don't know what would be needed to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm not a Hamilton fan, but in fairness he drove well and deserved the win.

It's hard to believe how much Verstappen's car was transformed when he went onto hard tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

He really is incredible....beyond doubt the greatest driver ever seen in F1 and his stats back that as well. Don't think he gets the kudos he deserves, maybe after he retires people will realise we've witnessed the greatest ever

A mad stat after today is in the last 6 races Hulkenberg has scored more points (16) than Checo (13). Constructors could be hotting up now as Ferrari are only 71 points behind RedBull and Mclaren are only 78 points behind them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Seems like the track actually suits harder tyres. The three compounds were the hardest in Pirellis range and I recall last year when McLaren pitted Lando under safety car late on for hards with Lewis behind him on softs that Lando was going to be a sitting duck, but it turned out to be the right call.

Thought MCLaren hired all Ferraris strategists but then saw what they did with LeC

• Advertisement
Advertisement