Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapist sentenced to 8 years

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I hadn’t been referring to you with my comment. We might have different viewpoints on this matter but I appreciate the ability to discuss this without malice, insults or armchair diagnoses being thrown around. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for everyone on this board.

Thank you, I will watch the material.

@Babyreignbow I don’t think that material is aimed at me, and I failed to recognise the significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Personally, I will always treat apologists for those who rape and abuse, and then victim blame, with the suspicion and open contempt they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Babyreignbow

The subject of victim blaming was touched on, I thought it might help give you some perspective but fair enough if you don't think it's relevant to you.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

It was a good source to bring up because it might help others reading the thread.

I don’t have emotional empathy though so it won’t work on me. As I said earlier on I was lucky.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It's like trying to unravel a knot and you go for the easy loop by saying the woman needs educating. Its not that simple in reality. A lot of times with abusers they don't start off showing their abusive selves. It's a constant work in progress. They'll be all loving and attentive all the time slowly reeling in their person. The target will think they're different, they've changed, they've seen the real side to the abuser. The abuser convinces them everyone is trying to ruin their happiness. They fall out with friends family. The abusive control has already begun and they haven't even realised. As it increases and they start to wonder, who can they turn to? They've argued for and defended this person, how can they admit how wrong they were. The abuser susses they may have gone too far and the vicious cycle begins again, reeling them back in.

The abuser is always the one in the wrong. They're the one starting out with full intentions of how things are going to go, they know and fully understand exactly what they're doing and that its wrong. The other person hasn't a clue and by the time they've realised they're so deep into it they can't figure out how to get out.

Thankfully there are places like women's aid and men's aid that are there to help anyone who suspects or who is in a bad situation and it is always an option, especially if you feel you have no one else, to contact them. They will help you make a plan to leave safely. And believe it or not for the vast majority of people in a controlling and abusive relationship, their family and true friends will be there for them when they're ready. They are just wait and hoping to get a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Taxi driver-child rapist, Shorten to be sentenced Monday. Three incidents. Was supposed to be yesterday. DPP looking for 10-15 years… so, out in 8-9 possibly. Not even 60 if freed. The man is a menace. Should be life for what he did, and for what he’s clearly capable of doing. And accepts no responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Lecter8319

don’t worry, even if he survives prison, he’ll be watched continuously & monitored very closely to prevent what happened, happening again. He’ll have a lot of restrictions & unlikely have a job so not much money to do anything either. Whatever happens, he’s done & will be in his sixties so it’s not like he can start over easily again

13 years for raping a 7 year old child!!

It is in its hole. For what he did, he needs permanent removal. I could be wrong, but a life sentence was available, or at least is available here. 13 years with remission and “good behaviour” is about 8-9 years. He deserved minimum 20 years

still to be sentenced for taxi rapes. Deserves a proper lengthy sentence for them

And what’s the bets the sentences for all three will be concurrent..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mountain

you always seem to be on the side of the perpetrator

I’m comparing the length of the sentence to the usual ones that are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No one is on the side of the perpetrator. Understanding the sentencing in this country and knowing that, in general, 13 years for rape is a good sentence, doesn't make anyone on the side of the perpetrator.

Technically it is on the right scale. Morally and personally I feel this man deserves a life sentence.

Life for the seriousness of what he did here. We’re talking about the rape of a young child.

but, legally the sentence seems to be in line with guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't understand the judge saying there was no mitigation in the case yet still knocking a year off and backdating the sentence to when he was first in custody. It shows how messed up our justice system is when we think 13 years for raping a young girl is a good sentence. This buck should not see the light of day again as he will be a threat to females till the day he dies.

Yep. And the rapist accepts no responsibility. Called it a 110 percent lie. No admission and of course, no remorse. 7 years old!!! Vile and very dangerous man.

Advertisement