Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog behaviour

Options
  • 01-07-2024 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭

I've been in a dog pound the past month and am starting to get to know all their personalities. I'm just looking for a bit of advice here on something that has come up when they are out together in the exercise yard. I've never seen dogs on the outside do it but they are eating eachothers poo. I can't clean it up quick enough before they are on it.

What's the reason for this? Boredom, stress, anxiety, hunger? Are they institutionalised? And if a dog was taken out of that environment and brought into a home and stimulated, exercised and fed good could the dog continue to do this or be trained out of it?

Or is it a case of the dog likes to eat poo?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ive seen many dogs eating poo, I think it may have to do with the actual poo still having some nutritional value etc but I didnt want to look into it too much and make myself sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

My sister had an Alsatian that was into that. I believe it had a genetic pancreatic problem. It lived a long life but looked like it wouldn't survive the week, it was always very thin but had an enormous appetite.

It was from a pound and looked like the classic neglected pooch, but with a decent coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Lots of dogs like to eat shite OP. It's normal enough. They'll do it on a walk or when in a shelter. All those people humanising dogs and "kissing" them should remember this. I like dogs but remember that they're animals that love to eat and roll in shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

They don't normally eat each others ****, that's not normal behaviour for any dog.

The reason they roll in strange **** is an inherited basic hunting instinct to hide their own natural smell so they will not be detected by the animal that left the droppings.

No way would I take a refuge dog that eats other dogs waste.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

Generally it's when they are fed on complete food that is so indigestible that so much of the nutrients, & there aren't a lot, are passed right through. I would expect raw fed dogs wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

My dog doesn’t eat other dog poo but it does like eating sheep poo so I have to be Uber careful when walking him in the countryside -

You mentioned 4 possible reasons why eating dog poo and all 4 are indeed possible- but yes you could train them out of it in many cases given time and proper nutrition - in fact if proper nutrition is the underlying reason then it may disappear quite quickly once in your home.
    Do all the dogs do it or just some?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Ah don't get offended now. There's ample evidence to support my assertion. I bet your dogs' kisses aren't quite as sweet now. 😆

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/why-dogs-eat-poop/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭apache

You're wrong. This is psychological due to the vigour displayed. Dogs roll in shite sometimes to mask their scent. That's normal. This is not. I'm really looking for educated opinions but thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

That's what I'm hoping. Out of 30 dogs mixing about half of them do it.

OK. The American Kennel Club didn't know what it's talking about but you do. https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health-and-dog-care/health/health-and-care/a-z-of-health-and-care-issues/why-does-my-dog-eat-poop/

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/advice/dog/why-does-my-dog-eat-poop

You really shouldn't reject an answer because you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

My dog is a sort of collie, lab beagle mix. He rolls in around shite alright but he doesn't eat it.

My neighbours black lab on the other hand will eat everything she comes into contact with including my dogs poo, dead birds, mice and cat shite.

I'd assume that she's got a fairly healthy immune system though .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Dogs eating poo is normal (theirs, other dog's, and other species), with a higher likelihood happening in multi-dog living situations. The exact reason why isn't entirely known, but it is regarded as a uncommon but normal behaviour.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/vms3.92

Just to provide an update. Took dog home 4 days ago and it's no longer an issue. Spent plenty of time stimulating her and having a quiet environment has done magic. She just gives a little sniff now and moves on. Amazing turnaround. Very pleased with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JustAsking2022

both of my dogs do it and I know of a few of my friends dogs who do it too. You can add pineapple or courgette into their food - it is meant to deter them from eating it. I got some tablets from the pet store also which are meant to do the same trick. It is gross to us but a lot of dogs do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭headtheball14

Mine did it when she came out of pound at first , it might have been hunger or something else boredom anxiety both likely. she doesn't now but loves sheep poo. I think it's to wind me up most of the time

Advertisement