Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home burials, Trump, Graceland and the Mother-in-Law.

Options
  • 01-07-2024 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched a video and it was on about Trump burying the ex wife at the golf course and Elvis being buried at Graceland, it claimied there are a lot of benifits like not having to pay property tax all across america if you do this, it also gets rid of any leans on the propety so it can't be taken from the family.

I know you can bury somone on your own land here, but is there any benifits to burying the mother in law out the back, can I avoid property tax then or stop the banks taking possesion if I default on the mortage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

…it also gets rid of any leans on the propety

If you mean 'liens' then can you point to anything that backs that up other than something on Truth Social…?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes those things, I've nothing to back it up, i'm not concerned with US law, the question was in relation to Irish law would the propety be then zoned "burial ground", it might make things tricky for a repossesion or for the bank to even auction it off, wouldn't you still have a lien to visit your relative even if there was a new owner at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

If Irish law followed US law, perhaps … but Irish law was based on English law to start with (and I doubt this subject would have been addressed) and English law allows home burials (even more than 1) as long as there is no substantial change of use of the land - no turning it into a 'formal' graveyard, for example.

There are environmental and health concerns which you'd have to address and then there's the question of perhaps trying to sell later on. Do you move everything, including the MiL or leave her. If moving then you need an exhumation order; if leaving then the new owner takes possession of the house, land and everything within…

And no, in English law, a burial does not make a plot of land a 'burial site' - AKA a formal graveyard, that's a matter for the planners.

More than likely it's the English law which was in force when the Free State was created, suitably modified if necessary, that'll be closer to the truth here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pay no attention to YouTube videos making claims about US law. There's a slim chance that they contain at least some somewhat accurate information about the law in some part of the US, but they have zero relevance to any question you may have about Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

So let me get this. You buy a property with a large mortgage. Kill the mother-in-law, bury her in the back garden. Stop paying the mortgage. When the banks issues a writ claiming possession, point to the burial site and say "gotcha!".
    What sort of plant life is growing in your yard at the moment? Have you been eating it or smoking it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Advertisement