Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in water pipe in field

Options
  • 01-07-2024 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all, I was out digging in the field next to my uncle's house and hit something black. Turns out it was some kind of water pipe, which now has a very tiny leak. A drip of water comes out every few seconds or so.

I have no idea where it goes to, but possibly it is headed for the water troughs for the cattle, but I have no way of proving this. I assume it has nothing to do with the mains.

Two questions

1. How necessary is it to fix this - I presume I need a plumber?
    2. How can I find out where the pipe leads to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1. Do you need a plumber?

Well the fact you are asking means you might. It is probably just a hydrodare pipe. You would just need to get a joiner and figure out where to turn it off so that you can cut and join it (or do the rough hack and bend it - not ideal). Very easy to do if you've done it before. Brass fitting with plumbing tape probably better for underground but the plastic ones would probably do the job as well and be easier for you to use.

2. Follow it? Or turn off the taps/values until the water stops coming out of the leak and then out of whatever drinker. Or ask someone who might know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Easiest fix is with the right size philmac inline valve. Open up the area so you can get to the pipe. Cut it and put the open valve on the side the water is rushing out. Tighten up the fitting then close the valve then you can take your time to finish the job and join the valve to the other end of the pipe. Open the valve and burry it all. OK so you'll get a wet shirt but often simpler if you can't find the main stop valve.

Probably half inch heavy or standard pipe. A valve and fittings for both (same main parts different inserts) shouldn't be more than €30. Cheaper about a tenner just to buy a straight joiner if you can turn the water off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭spalpeen

Thanks guys, would I be able to do this without a plumber? My fear is I turn off the mains but its not connected there. I guess i would check the leak before opening it up

EDIT: this is what it looks like btw

https://ibb.co/yXdWVN2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's trivial. You might be able to find someone who has done it before to help if you have no idea what you are doing. Would be a quick job.

Some of the plastic fittings are designed for a special tool for tightening them, but we don't bother with that. Probably should get one though

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭spalpeen

what's worst case scenario if i messed it up? i guess water going everywhere with no end in sight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

At least get a handyman to help. Why not your uncle?

Do it (or have it done) properly. It could be coming from mains, a well pump, or gravity half way up a hill.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

You're out in the country so there must be an odd length of black water pipe hanging around somewhere. Find a bit the same size as the pipe you have (there are two sizes one is thicker than the other). Take it along to the builders merchants/ co op and buy the fittings. Then practice on the spare bit of pipe. The fittings are reusable so once you are comfortable with how they go together you can get to work on the leak. As Wearb says almost any handyman and nearly all farmers should be well able to make the joint for you if you aren't happy doing it. To be sure to be sure get the fittings for heavy gauge pipe and pay the extra for the inserts for standard gauge just so you have both when you cut into the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Throwing a plumber at that job is akin to going to a doctor for a nail-trim. That's even if you can get a damn plumber. I'd say DIY it for sure - it's another feather to your hat.

Just top tip: prepare the Philmac valve by opening it fully first, then cut the pipe with a sharp utility knife, nice and perpendicular, just a cm away from the damage. Clean off the mud around the surface, then install the valve over the side of the pipe with the gushing/flowing water and tighten the fitting on that side of the pipe - good and tight but not over-tight (use a wrench to apply a quarter-turn after you initially hand-tighten it). Then close off the valve and the water will then stop; then install it over the other side of the pipe. You will need to take off the small section where the damage is done. I'd install it into an AJ or such, but that's dependent on whether there are cattle present.

https://www.plumbingproducts.ie/philmac-couplings-ireland/5257-philmac-heavy-gauge-joiner-20mm12.html

https://www.goodwins.ie/access-junctions-110mm/c-2736.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

And if ya completely mess up just dig out a bit more of that pipe and bend it back on itself and cable tie it. that'll stop the water till you can get someone else to fix it.

You've basically nothing to lose by giving it a go yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sjones12121994
    Plumber

You've got an interesting situation there. Let's address your questions one by one.

How Necessary is it to Fix This?

Given that the pipe has a leak, even a small one, it’s important to fix it sooner rather than later. Here’s why:

1. Prevent Water Waste: Even a small drip can waste a significant amount of water over time, which is especially important if you're in a drought-prone area.
    2. Prevent Further Damage: Small leaks can become larger over time, potentially causing more significant damage and requiring more extensive repairs.
    3. Ensure Water Supply: If the pipe does supply water to cattle troughs or another critical use, ensuring it’s properly sealed is important to maintain consistent water supply.

How to Fix the Leak

While it’s always best to consult a plumber for a permanent fix, here are some temporary solutions you can consider until professional help arrives:

• Pipe Repair Clamp: This is a quick and easy way to stop the leak. You can find these at most hardware stores.
    • Rubber and Hose Clamps: Wrapping the leak with rubber (like from an old inner tube) and securing it with hose clamps can provide a temporary fix.
    • Epoxy Putty: This can be used to seal the leak temporarily. Make sure the pipe is clean and dry before applying.

How to Find Out Where the Pipe Leads To

1. Visual Inspection: Follow the pipe as far as you can in both directions. Look for where it enters and exits the ground, and any connected fixtures or troughs.
    2. Consult Property Plans: If available, property plans or diagrams can indicate where utility lines run.
    3. Water Flow Test: If you suspect the pipe feeds a water trough, you can try turning off the water supply temporarily to see if the flow to the trough stops. Ensure all water outlets are off and see if the leak stops; this might help indicate where the water is going.
    4. Ask Around: Talk to your uncle or neighbours who might have knowledge about the property’s plumbing layout.

Consulting a Plumber

Given that you're dealing with a potential underground water supply pipe, I recommend getting a professional plumber involved. They can:

• Properly Identify the Pipe: Determine exactly what the pipe is for and where it leads.
    • Provide a Permanent Fix: Ensure the leak is repaired correctly to prevent future issues.
    • Assess for Further Damage: Check if there’s any other damage to the pipe or surrounding infrastructure.

Fixing this promptly and correctly is the best course of action to prevent any potential issues from escalating.

• Advertisement

AI knows the theory behind everything but not the practical… never held a tool. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sjones12121994
    Plumber

It is necessary to fix the leak to prevent water waste and potential damage, even if it's a small drip. You should contact a plumber for a proper repair. To find out where the pipe leads, you can follow it visually above ground if possible, use a pipe locator device, or consult with a professional who might have the necessary tools to trace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,467 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

I would get a farmer (I assume your uncle). It could be half inch pipe or 3/4. Heavy or light gauge.

it’s a small job, but needs to be done right also.

Advertisement