Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living or Guest

Options
  • 01-07-2024 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭

A tenant rents a 2 bedroom apartment. They have 2 children who stay overnight at the apt every weekend. Randomly this can be Fri to Sun, Thursday to Monday, variations of that, the odd time the whole week, consistently throughout the whole year.

Would those kids be classified as living in the apartment or merely guests of the tenant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I am guessing guests. Its not their main residence as they are just visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Classified by who? The state, their school, the landlord? Might need to clarify your reasons in order to get a useful answer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭dennyk

Children can't be party to a tenancy agreement and so can't request to be added to a tenancy even if they are licensees, so from the landlord's perspective it is immaterial. Really the only concern for the landlord would be whether their occupation of the property would make the property overcrowded under the definition in the Housing Act 1966.

Edit: If the landlord's notion is that the children's part-time residence there would violate some clause in the tenancy agreement prohibiting taking in licensees and allow them to terminate the tenancy on that basis, they'd do well to read up on the Equal Status Acts, particularly the bits about discrimination on the basis of family status, because that isn't going to fly with the RTB or the WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

It's not their home if it's really only weekends.

I'd expect that their school has them registered at their home address, also Dept of Social Welfare has them at the home address.

I can't see how a landlord can legitimately claim they are residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most people would probably describe them as living there part of the time. If the kids were at boarding school during the week and back at weekends. There is no question that they live there, right.

But "classify" is a strange way to describe it. I don't think landlords should be concerned with classifying the domestic arrangements of their tenants. They rent a two bed apartment, the whole apartment, it's theirs to use as they need.

It's unlikely any sort of occupancy clause from the landlord is enforceable. Unless the tenants specifically offered terms for reduced rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most leases say that you can have short term guests, but cannot move anyone in as a resident without the landlords permission.

If I rent a 2 bed to two people, expect there to be two people living there, not four.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm sorry to have been vague as to why I'm asking but I see that may have caused some confusion.

If I rent a 2 bed to two people, expect there to be two people living there, not four.

This is the problem. The tenant did not inform the landland that his kids would be present on average 40% of the week. There is a soundproofing problem between apts for which there are no minimum standards set, I've learned. I live below them and have to endure endless noise from 8am to bedtime every day they are present. They never go out for more than an hour, they have no garden access, it's totally unsuitable for very young kids imo. The noise is intolerable, I will have to move out if the issue cannot be resolved.

The landlord was well aware of the soundproofing problem before he let the flat above me. The previous one person tenant, where every footstep was a thud, took a bit of getting used to but I did, sorta. The Landlord would never have let it to a young family of 3 knowing how much noise they would create in comparision to a single person but that is effectivley what has happened. As far as I'm concerned they do live in the apartment and the noise I have to endure is not some trivial 'temporary' thing as if they were guests visiting for a few hours.

Now both my Landlord and I have a big problem. I'm pestering him to solve it but I think he won't be able to, unless he can claim the kids are living in the apartment which goes against what he understood would be the case, i.e. the tenant is in the wrong.

Advertisement