Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing Bell transformers

Options
  • 02-07-2024 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

There's a buzz from our bell transformer which is probably quite normal. Our electrician replaced one that was buzzing and this new one isnt much different. I wouldnt mind it at all but i work in the same room as the consumer board as a home office. Are there any non buzzing solutions for bell transformers? Its for a nest hello doorbell. The other option might be some acoustic type enclosure around the consumer board to drown out the noise. Its not terrible just one of those things when you notice it niggles away at you!

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭drury..

Check its not overloaded or hot

Probably swap it out for a suitable high quality trafo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah its not hot or overloaded.. its been swapped already.. electrician explained how they work - coiled wire inside and they vibrate and there's nothing really you can do about it.. i guess i could look at a different bell setup.. but don't really want to do that either

They dont all make noise

Not that I ever noticed much working at boards

You got bad advice so you're working off that

It's usually not an issue for people in a house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Any mains transformer at 50Hz that I have ever used has had some level of hum - it's just a part of their existence as they do use copper coils and steel plates to induce induction. Induction is magnetic and it causes the steel and other non-ferrous metals both within and surrounding the transformer to start to vibrate. Sometimes this can be caused at the DIN mounting rail though, or even within the copper wires due to small currents induced. Better quality transformers are potted in a resin which dampens the hum from the transformer itself, but you can still get some localised induction and humming off surrounding metals. So yes, a better transformer might improve matters, but you'd also need to look at the loading, board and wiring layout to see if the hum is originating from there.

• Advertisement

Ya i was wondering about the mounting and the physical board could that be an issue

It would be an occasional issue ime anyhow never had much callouts for it

There is a difference in quality in bell transformers and important to remember like any trafo they do have a VA rating , you have to match it up not just voltage

to be fair i doubt many people sit within 4 feet of their consumer board when working. Its a non issue when im on meetings/calls etc.. just can be when its quiet.. i doubt most people would even notice it in the room.. i wouldnt be calling out someone especially to look at it.

its actually kinda funny… if i stand in front of the board i can't really hear it.. its sitting to one side of it.. any ambient noise and its no noticable at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You might even find that your head-position or orientation will pick it up in different ways too, but that's usually truer with higher frequencies.

Advertisement