Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV- what resolution?

Options
  • 02-07-2024 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Have been living with an old samsung 32" for the past 10 years and only recently has it started to feel dated/small even though it does everything i need.

TV is used for general tv shows, Sky, Netflix, Disney etc and an occasional match.

Just wondering if i up to a 55" what resolution i should be looking for. TV isn't hugely important for me but dont want to get a newer bigger tv for it to look grainy and crap!

All help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭micks_address

id say go 4k if you are going to 55" Look at the Sony's if you watch a lot of SD content as they do a really good job scaling it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id sit on it, the fact that tv isnt all that important to you, when your tv finally gives up the ghost, which will probably be soon enough, you might just pick up a better one for the same money you d spend now, they advance and evolve quickly enough, year on year…..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭micks_address

if you are watching netflix and disney plus you will see a considerable jump in quality at 4k hdr.. re waiting.. well they arent changing a huge amount depending on your budget.. if you want a high end 55" tv you could pay 3k for it.. or something very decent for 1k probably… check out the richersounds forum here they are pretty good.. also check out reviews on youtube and places like avforums.com or whathifi…. set your budget first and that will determine the best you can get for it.. factor in things like how bright the room is you watch in - do you generally watch at night with curtains closes. lights dimmed etc.. are you a purist and want the best possible etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The lowest now is HD but 4k is standard in the size you are looking at. I'd be surprised if you can get a HD in 50 odd inch.

I had 46 inch 20 years ago and moved to 65 inch. Two years ago I went 83 inch. I'd go 95 but Sony doesn't do oled bigger at the moment. 22 foot long sitting room.

In short you shouldn't settle on HD in something that size. Definitely 4k. I'd also want dolby vision

Advertisement