Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court summons and fees

Options
  • 02-07-2024 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

PIAB couldn't assess my case due to extend of my injuries. My solicitor hired barrister to prepare summons and sent them to the High Court. He said in about 3 months he will call me in to ask me some questions. Will those questions be delivered by defendant's Insurance company? Has anyone gone through it and could tell me what are the next steps?

Solicitor's and barrister's fee: if I understand right, if we go to court and win the case, defendant's insurer will pay for my solicitor's and barrister's fee. What happens if we settle the case outside of the court with defendant's insurance company? Will I then need to cover that cost or solicitor will get that fee from the insurance company?

I think my solicitor's fee is about 5-7k and barrister's fee is about 12-15k, so that's a lot of money if I was going to pay.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Settlement will include the question of barrister and solicitor costs and who's paying them. For example you get a 40k payout and the other party pays for all the cost or you get 80k and each party pay their own cost; numbers made up obviously but ask the question if you get to that point to your barrister.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gabulek16

Thanks for reply.

Any idea how long it might take to receive those questions? Summons were sent to high court in early May.

Are summons also sent to the defendant or only his insurance company, and insurer's solicitor will contact him?

Just saw in one of the documents that barrister will seek to retrieve fees from defendant's insurance company if we win the case in the high court. Nothing about settling the case before the court. I need to wait to get these questions to see my solicitor and I will ask about fees then.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭IsaacWunder

I’m really shocked at your comments. By law, you’re supposed to have received a notice of fees and costs from your barrister and solicitor (called a section 150 notice) explaining all of the questions you asked around costs.

As for the other questions, you can address those to your solicitor also. That’s what their job is.

It might be worth looking into switching solicitors if the one you have won’t address basic questions around fees and explain the steps in your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gabulek16

I have received a section 150 with barrister's costs, I have mentioned the cost in my first comment. I know I will not need to pay these fees if we win the case in the high court. Nothing about settling the case before the court, and that was my original question, if I do cover these fees or defendant's insurer.

Advertisement