Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law on face coverings at protests to be amended.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This is more a generic comment on not specfic to OP.
    What is the end point of such ammendments is a question I had been told to inquire, having done a course on legislation.
    In essence, once the update has been passed and if controversal the inital furore has died down, then v2.0 could seek to expand on the initial acts foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

How is it stupid,all the items can obscure identity and you agree that if a garda cannot identify someone wearing any of the above he should order wearer to remove said item/s to allow identity.are you confused.

Looks like the gards have enough powers already,they can arrest you and then identify you if needs be,there is absolutely no reason for a law abiding protestor to be identified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Show me where they have been a danger?

Extremists on any side are dangerous but show me where the "Far" left have rioted, burned, assaulted, or intimidated random people?

PBP are hard left not even FAR left.

You're making false equivalence and making shite up to deflect from the real present dangers of bloody actual Nazis crawling out from under rocks

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

PBP/SOLIDARITY are all far left ,would destoy country if given the chance,no better than far right clowns,2 cheeks of the same arse

It's no longer reds under the beds,they are in the bed.

• Advertisement

They have demonstrated zero Far Left tendencies. They are in our Dail and have put their positions forward. Plenty of hard left and anti-capitalist rhetoric but no limiting of any liberties

The actual extremists are the National Party, Ireland First etc.

Who are their equivalent on the left? Tell me.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

What's that phrase about a grown man still using a bus? 😂

Remember your ChapStick and moisturiser too love. It's so unkind out there.

Oh so you hate public transport and the environment now too?

You're out of arguments so now go on the ad hominem attack. You've lost lad. You attempted a nice bit of Islamophobia and were called out

I remember this place being much stricter on bad faith posts, than this

Paul Murphy amd his minions perfected the art of the violent masked protestor back during the water debacle,you must have forgotten that.

The bending over backwards by the far left to welcome this new law because they think it will only apply to the far right is joy to behold,I am sure their concerns about other curtailment of civil liberties will also fade away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

While they have some powers, I don't agree they have enough.

I honestly cannot see why any reasonable person would refuse to uncover their face on foot of a request from a Garda, unless they had something to hide, or are being deliberately obstructionist. "Just because I shouldn't have to" doesn't cut it.

Refusing to cooperate which results in an arrest and all that involves is just a waste everyone's time. We don't have enough Gardai on the street actually policing as it is, to have their time wasted in dealing with BS like this.

As far as I know (not a legal professional so open to correction) wasting Garda time is an offence in itself. If it's not an offence already, it should be, and should come with a substantial fine as a deterrent.

• Advertisement

Violent?

Really? Riots, burned buildings, people attacked, etc?

Been so long there must have been so may serious criminal convictions. Care to share?

You're scrambling lad. Next you'll be saying that the pensioners protests were some extremist agitation.

Show us actual ongoing examples of burning buildings, targeting politicians' families, assault, racism, all out riots please. Also show where the supposed far left have called for the removal of liberties of minority citizens…

I mean it's not that hard an ask if they are as extremist as you say.

I mean it's easy to get the same for the actual far right. Your posts are false equivalence and you present mis-truth to spread your "message"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you haven't done anything illegal why must you be identified?

Gardai should have power to unmask those suspected of a crime, but simply attending a protest is not a crime. Blanket ban on all face coverings at protests is a dangerous overreach.

Why would a garda need to know the identity of a peaceful protestor?a Violent troublesome protestor I get,but they have the tools already to identify the violent protestor and if it means a bit of work for them,so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

…in your opinion.

I’d like everyone to be recognisable to Gardai and face recognition technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

If only we lived in a perfect world.

These protests attract a certain cohort of tyrannic scum. Angry, mostly poorly educated and in many cases dependent on social welfare. The contribute nothing whatsoever to society.

The want to cause trouble. They spread blatant mis-information. They prey on people who are a bit gullible and tend not to check facts.

Technically they are not doing anything illegal there at a protest, however in many case take their tyrannic thoughts, stupidity and violent meanderings and use them to intimidate and influence others elsewhere. This then leads to xenophobic, homophobic and racist attacks on people - all stirred by these tyrannical uneducated scumbags.

Hence they don't want to be identified as the chances are they will be the ones with criminal and violent records - exactly what they are creating scaremongering about (a recently convicted rapist was involved in Clondalkin protests, a convicted paedophile was involved in Ballymun protests - currently in mountjoy after conviction)

If they have nothing to hide, why hide behind a mask?

But it won't be a blanket ban,it will only apply to some protests,can you see the gards asking a protestor to remove the keffiyeh,there would be war .

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭LubaDriver

Indeed, and I can think of some legitimate reasons why someone might not want to be publicly identifiable at a protest. For example say a person who works at a very pro Israeli company, s/he might not want to be identified due to retribution from their employer. Similarly a woman attending a domestic abuse march might want to conceal her identity if she was photographed and in an abusive relationship.

Why would you need to mask your face if you're peaceful?

And please spare me the "other people who are there are scary and might take my picture" answer.

If you have the courage of your convictions, show your face.

Dont have a message son.What's your message BTW,violence/protests from the left is OK and only violence/protest from people you disagree with should be cracked down on.Fascist tendencies showing there,be careful.

Where, in the article linked to, is there any mention of blanket bans?

• Advertisement

If you don't want to be publically identifiable at a protest, don't attend. Simple.

Does that go for burka or keffiyeh wearers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭LubaDriver

Because it might cause harm to you in other aspects of your life if you are publicly identifiable. If you see above, I've given two examples of where someone might want to attend a protest and not be photographed. Are you really saying that the domestic abuse victim should be forced to put themselves at risk from an abusive partner because they want to protest for their rights?

Just masks at the moment but I am sure they will get around to blankets.

Answer the question if you can,why does a peaceful protestor have to be identifiable?

PROVE your claim.

Show the violence from the Far left. You said FAR left, prove it.

Show the damage, riots, assaults, attacks etc.

You need to learn your terminology if you think that I would be fascist, more deflecting attempting to align fascism with the left.

No message? You are trying to legitimise the far right by equating them with the same difference from the centre as the hard left parties in Ireland.

They are not, they are an order of magnitude further out, on their side, than any of our elected leftist parties.

You peddle disinformation and false equivalencies and have not been able to provide a single piece of evidence to back up your claims.

Already asked and answered.

My response is not going to change, just because you keep asking the same questions.

What a great way to encourage state sponsored tyranny. You must be publically identifiable if you wish to air your grievances on an issue.

Sure next up: why should your vote be anonymous? If you want to have a say in the running of our democracy you should be publically identifiable.

Can't have the malcontents voting for the wrong candidates without everyone else knowing.

The idea that the right to privacy should be waived if you have nothing to hide is a load of fallacious nonsense.

People are entitled to their privacy. People are entitled to protest an issue in a peaceful manner and not have their lives ruined as a result. If covering one's face can stop that outcome without making people fearful to have their voice heard, then it's a good thing.

• Advertisement

Already answered as well.

It's up to the individual to assess the personal risk to themselves if they decide to attend a protest or not.

The state can't legislate for individual circumstances, or individual risk.

If attending poses that much of a risk to you, then don't go.

Advertisement