Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UCD Research Volunteer Request] Understanding insecticide exposure

Options
  • 02-07-2024 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Dear Gardening lovers!

My name is Dr. Sewon Lee, a postdoctoral researcher at University College Dublin (UCD). I am recruiting participants for our research about exposure to neonicotinoid insecticides. My email is sewon.lee@ucd.ie

The EIRE project is investigating workers’ exposure to neonicotinoid insecticides. The study hopes to reduce exposure to chemicals by identifying potential exposure sources, recommending controls and enhancing awareness of chemical safety among participants.

This study is not a health study and focuses on neonicotinoid level changes as you use the insecticides. Additionally, most of the adverse effects of neonicotinoid insecticides used are related to their effect on pollinators (e.g., bees).

The details of our project are as follows: 

Who we are looking for: (Professional/Non-professional)Gardeners, Landscapers and Nursery Workers who use insecticides in Ireland

Chemicals of interest:
     Active ingredients - Acetamiprid and Flupyradifurone in plant protection products (e.g. BugClear or RoseClear)

What you will do:

1) complete a short questionnaire

2) provide urine samples before and after spray use (+ next morning), only 24 hours.

When: When the insecticides are used.

We believe that involving one or two gardening or farming staff from your group could be of great help for our research.

More details below.

As your workforce would be using these types of chemicals, I had hoped you would circulate the poster attached and information about the study to your employees. It is completely voluntary, and we will ensure not to circulate personal information or the company name during the study.

If possible, I could also come to the Nursery or Garden to speak with the employees in person, to give them a brief overview of the study and answer any questions they may have in relation to the study.

If you want more information about the study, please do not hesitate to contact me at any point to discuss the study. 

I would like to thank you in advance for assisting with recruitment for the EIRE study.

Kind regards,

Dr. Sewon Lee

Tagged:

Advertisement