Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modded Gamecube/Wii/Wii U for playing Gamecube games via HDMI?

Options
  • 02-07-2024 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

I have never owned or played a Gamecube game beyond bashing those Donkey Kong bongos 20 years ago.

What is the best option for playing Gamecube games via HDMI these days? What has the best image quality, what is the easiest to mod and which option is likely to be the cheapest?

I would appreciate any insight as I am clueless as to which option to go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Inviere

I could be wrong here, @Retr0gamer will know, but I THINK the Game Cube had the best quality video out of the three you mention. If you're looking for the absolute best, in that case then you'll want a Game Cube that has a digital out port, a component cable, and then feed it into a good scaler like the Retrotink or OSSC etc.

For a more reasonable approach, maybe research what those cheap HDMI adapters for the Wii are like, and grab a Wii that has GC compatibility.

The Wii U has the worst quality output of them all, but has native HDMI out...so if you're happy to compromise a tiny bit, a Wii U is a good shout too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In terms of best video quality it's either the GameCube or Wii with caveats. The GameCube was striped of component out in PAL models. The Wii also only supported component out on older models, the later models where they changed the look only have composite out and are therefore utter scutter. Pretty sure component cables are very expensive now but there might be third party cables.

If you run component through an upscale it will look nice but there should be some Wii HD mods or plugins that will do the job.

Advertisement