Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slurry Bugs

• 02-07-2024 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭

Does any of them work at improving the contents of the tank for agitating?

It was like stirring a midden.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

Very hard to beat adding plenty water or pig slurry or both.

I'm feeding bales to sucklers and have tried numerous brands of slurry bugs. I would have doubts about all of them, not sure if they'reanythingmore than molasses. Contractor has noted less smell from the slurry but it keeps coming back to adding more water and emptying and refilling and mixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Same here. Feeding out bales. Does the quality of the bale being fed or amount of meal given make much difference?

We were slightly overstocked last winter and with the wet spring had to balls about with the tanks to try and get it thin enough for umbilical spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

I found this year that throwing a couple of tankers of digestate from an AD plant broke my slurry down beautifully

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

Not sure, contractor always makes the point of noting that there are "sops" in the tank. Maybe if we fed all silage bales that were fully chopped not just half the blades, it mightnt be as bad…

LESS is a disaster here, comes out of trailing shoe way too thick and lots of blockages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

we tried the biology into the tank, actually what we added was for a much bigger tank.

Didn’t find it helped at all when it came to agitation or to reduce odour 🤷🏻

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,832 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's some slurry bugs shouldn't be sold at all as they are dead at purchase.

It then gives all a bad name. At least if you are getting solution from an AD plant it's live for as long as you keep it live.

If you have water gone out of tank and midden stuff it's impossible to think microbes can mosey up water.

I've had microbes boil over a tank with yeast, make it thicker, make less smell, make it go further on grass, then the opposite depending on product, not work and still smell and still thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Is there any research on adding LAB to slurry tanks or is it a pointless exercise?

Advertisement