Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New in Public sector but don't feel like I'm the right fit for the team.

Options
  • 02-07-2024 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all, joined the public sector a couple of months back as a HEO , love the work even though it's hectic. However there is one big problem, I don't feel like I'm the right fit for the team, I haven't gelled with my manager and feel isolated.

What are my options at this stage? Can I request a move? How long do I wait before doing so? Is this a common issue moving from private to public sector? I can make it work in the medium term but longer term I think I will be unhappy. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sohara00

Honestly coming from the private sector could be your issue, you dont have to get along with everyone and youll rarely gel with everyone. The biggest thing you need to do is constantly remind yourself your in the civil service now, the rules are not the same as they were before.

You cant move for 2 years on mobility but you could always throw an email to your HR and see if they could move you into a different team locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What about your other colleagues? Your reports?

At HEO level you are expected to be a self starter and not need much input from AP - maybe you just need some time to adjust to this and after you settle in a bit more you will feel more comfortable

It has only been 2 months also which is not long enough to really build relationships, particularly if hybrid working is involved. Give it more time and also be proactive about asking your manager for support where you feel it is lacking (feedback, clearer directions etc) - they may think you are doing fine if you don't say it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

One thing you should do is apply for mobility now. Your position will go up over that time for when you are eligible in 2 years.

As was said. Your in the civil service now. It run by different rules to the private sector

Advertisement