Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Trek bicycle fork needed?

Options
  • 02-07-2024 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I had a crash and there is damage to the fork on a Trek fx4 carbon sport bicycle. I am aware of issues with carbon integrity of the frame. Presuming that is ok, I am looking at the fork and wondering if I need a whole new fork or just this gold ring (image). For conext, there is damage to the aluminum block at the head of the fork but the body of the fork appears ok.

The gap between fork and frame i believe is larger than it should be (not sure if the bearing ring is too high) and there is a click sound if i put sudden weight on the frame (press down hard on pedals) which i am thinking was coming from that gold ring.

Plus when the frame is inserted onto the fork the bar is not seating central through the frame whole. It looks like it is leaning back too much?

Any insight/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Everything you’ve photographed looks normal to me. Sounds like the stem and bars have been shunted by the crash and are misaligned.

Is there a bike shop close by? Realigning the stem and bars won’t be expensive and they’ll inspect for damage at the same time for peace of mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Compskills

Thanks for the reply Nicksnikita. One more question if you don't mind. That gold/brass ring is split. (not sure what its called = compression ring/bearing)

Is that meant to be open like that as opposed to a solid closed ring?

If i close the gap in the ring like i would expect it to be - it no longer fits around the fork steerer tube.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's meant to be split like it is.

"there is a click sound if i put sudden weight on the frame (press down hard on pedals) which i am thinking was coming from that gold ring."

This could be so many things, most not related to the fork. Could be the pedals, cranks, seatpost, front derailleur slightly off. Is the noise while you are riding or while working on the bike? Is the BB shell free from visual issues. If its on the bike, are you seating, standing, specific to weight on one side. It could be as simple as the stem bolts need to be loosened and retightened evenly. Could be the crank bolts, loose headset and so on. You have a list to work through before writing off the forks anyway.

Thanks Cramcycle, I've just found it online - a compression ring and as you say, meant to be like that.

I was hoping it was an easy trouble shooting/replacement. Ill have to bring it to the local shop. Too much variables. I was just thinking they would right-off the fork as a firt port of call.

Could also be the headset, it is not properly inserted in the photo. See can that be done to rule out the fork being damaged/bent.

You didn't answer is the clicking while riding or just while you push on the bike while standing there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the first photo confused me because it does look like a bearing race too, especially with what looks like wear.

but you mentioned in the opening line that there's damage to the fork. what's the nature of the damage? was it the photos you showed?

Thanks both of you, CramCycle: i figured there were too many variables to be asking you about the click sound online. But it was coming while off the bike, holding the handle bars and putting pressure on the nearest pedal.

MagicBastarder: fork damage visible here.

I think I'll just bring it to a shop tomo. Thanks

Advertisement