Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights on a product bought on Amazon.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Read the original post, it would have saved you a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,574 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I have, and you still haven’t clarified how items over £40 have a 2 year warranty, if you are able, please give some supporting information, if you can’t, it bears no relevance to the opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I was told that anything over a certain price, I think £40 had a two year warranty.

I was told this when I queried shoe failures, and wondered why not only the originals, but also the replacements failed.

Sure enough, I never had a problem returning shoes, but I simply got sick of buying the rubbish and posting the stuff back.

Frankly even a full year would be acceptable, but for a spend of up to £100, there was only one pair of boots that made it to one year.

My conclusion is that Amazon must pay virtually nothing for delivery or rely on people not claiming and suffering the loss.

You may not have intended it but you did lead people to interpret that there was a monetary value on warranties. You've since then harped on and on about others not understanding warranties or what you posted, but to be honest you didn't express whatever it was you were trying to say very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Yes for the product I bought the warranty depended on the money paid.

"A monetary value on warranties" is not a phrase I would use, but I would state that at the time I purchased said Item, the warranty provided by Amazon on the product line was two years if the purchase price of the item was over £40, this being agreed with Amazon who have never once told me porkies except for the rubbish about taking dangerous goods complaints seriously.

What the Hell is so complex about Amazon stating "if the item is over £40 there's a two year warranty"?

"A monetary value on warranties" suggests a warranty is tradable and that is something totally different, the mind boggles as to how you derived that little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Yes for the product I bought the warranty depended on the money paid.

Well by now you know better surely? Nearly everyone has corrected you and you are still claiming that Amazon are correct.

The price of the item (within two years) has no impact on the ability to request a return, refund or exchange for a manufacturing fault of defect.

After two years it might impact the level of recompense you can expect as there is an argument about the expectations between two items after this point in EU law which would be the most applicable in a case with Amazon.

What the Hell is so complex about Amazon stating "if the item is over £40 there's a two year warranty"?

Nothing complex other than the fact that you can't accept Amazon were wrong when they told you there is some price point that kicks in, end of story.

The correct statement, regardless of what some random support agent told you is:

if the item is above, equal to or less than £40 there's a two year warranty

@witnessmenow - did you need to return it and how did it go? Amazon are harder to get into touch with but once you find the link to kick off the process it is fine, you usually you pay P&P to send it (after which they refund you). We're now past your max return date ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Kettle has been working fine since this post so I haven't had to test the waters with Amazon! Fingers crossed it stays working alright!

And of course it happened again last night. I'll see if I can get onto Amazon this evening and ask about it, but in my mind my bargaining power is a bit weaker now that its over 2 years old!

Whatever happens with it, the kettle has to go anyways. I threw on the kettle and went upstairs to put away some clothes, and it was the kids who let me know there was "smoke" in the kitchen (it was just steam, but its unusual to see so much steam as usually a kettle stops shortly after starts steaming)

In theory if it doesn't stop boiling it could boil itself dry and that would not be good (never mind the cost of a kettle not stopping)

Got onto Amazon CS

I explained the situation and the CS rep essentially very politely told me nothing he can do.

"Since I've had satisfactory use of this product for a period of time exceeding both the manufacturers warranty and the typical average life of this product, we are unable to offer a repair, replacement or refund"

When I pushed back on less than two years being the expected average of a £72 kettle, he went away for a few minutes and basically said he has no options available to him to address this for me.

He has also essentially said that because it has passed 2 years since I purchased the item, they no longer have any options to process any concession, so I should have just complained when it happened the first time!

Judging by some of the comments here, maybe I'm being unreasonable that I would expect an expensive kettle to last longer than a cheap one. If these comments are accurate, there is no reason from a consumer rights point of view to buy anything but the cheapest of the cheap stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Did you highlight the issue to them at all before the 2 years were up? If not, you're probably goosed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

@witnessmenow "Judging by some of the comments here, maybe I'm being unreasonable that I would expect an expensive kettle to last longer than a cheap one. If these comments are accurate, there is no reason from a consumer rights point of view to buy anything but the cheapest of the cheap stuff."

I think you have to ask why it is more expensive. If the expensive kettle has a better more robust construction, including a better thermostat, then it might be a better purchase. If it is more expensive because it is badged as a premium brand then it probably is waste of money. The problem is, without being a 'kettle engineer', how do you sort one from the other.

• Advertisement

In my opinion, if something costs more you'd expect it to be of higher quality. It's unreasonable to assume the average consumer is going to tear down kettles they don't even own in an attempt to decipher which has the highest quality thermostat, even if they were a kettle engineer, so the only thing that is reasonable for distinguishing a better quality one from a worse one is price and maybe reputation of the manufacturer.

It's purely academic at this stage anyways. Amazon have washed their hands of it, it doesn't seem like I have any moves left (and questionable if it would be worth the effort if I did) so all I can do is chalk it down to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

These two statements don't add up:

less than two years being the expected average of a £72 kettle

because it has passed 2 years since I purchased the item

Did you purchase the kettle more than two years ago, but then left it in its box for a while and therefore you've had less than two years of "active use" of it?

Your warranty kicks in on the date that you purchased the item. Not even when it's delivered to you. When you actually started using it is moot.

As for how long a kettle should last, that entirely depends on its usage. One person could be boiling it once a day, another 50 times. Then you have the effects of hard water (and the maintenance or lack thereof regarding descaling it). I live in a hard water area, and regardless of whether I buy a €15 white yoke from Lidl or a €70 Russel Hobbs, they all seem to only last about 2.5 years here. I descale the jug itself, but limescale still builds up in other areas that you can't easily deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,574 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm surprised at people suggesting that Amazon would sort it? In my experience is they won't do anything once an item is over 12 months old - unless they have some extra warranty mentioned in the original listing. I had an air filter that Amazon stated had a 3 year warranty and they honored that after 35 months :-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

if something costs more you'd expect it to be of higher quality." Unfortunately , so often that is not the case.

Your rights under UK law is I think similar to here and there is a six year limit on on pursuing action. But, now outside the EU, it is hard to see how you could advance it further. I am not sure if you could take a case in UK county court but, firstly, you might need a UK address and secondly the fee is £35. So hardly worth it. In fact any legal remedy is going to cost you money.

You might still write to Amazon in both UK and Luxembourg . It will only cost you a stamp. And even consider writing to Breville , although their website

makes it clear that they only provide a 1 year warrantee

Advertisement