Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai ioniq 5 or VW ID 4.

• 03-07-2024 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey All,

I'm looking for some advise around moving to an EV. Specifically either a used Ioniq 5 or ID4.

Looking online I think a 35G budget should get a decent used one and either one should fit my usual needs regarding range, space for the kids, etc. Having been dipping in and out of the very long discussions on both cars for a while, there seems to be a fair few things to keep an eye out for. ICCU issues (whatever that is) on the Ioniq with the ID4 also having some serious issues mentioned throughout the threads.

How has your experience been with them? And any recommendations / tips on what to look for with these cars?

Battery condition reports and ensuring they are on the latest software would be no brainer's for any used EV. But when in doubt always ask someone know knowledgeable then yourself so I'm putting the question out there.

Appreciate any advise you can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You might get a 2023 Model Y for that budget if you put up a wanted ad? Arguably an all-round better proposition than an Ioniq or VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Such a hilariously typical boards response.

"I'm trying to decide between an apple and an orange"

"Have you tried a plum?" 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18 UnfortuateSon

Lol, thanks but Id rather rely on what passes for public transport outside of Dublin then associate myself with anything to do with Musk, even if only secondhand.

I don't own either, but I was seriously looking at the Ioniq 5 a while ago. I really liked the exterior, but was deeply underwhelmed by the interior. I think the ID4 is better in that respect even though it is rather bland looking outside comparatively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You must do some research on both VW and Hyundai's murky backgrounds as well so…just to balance it out 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭CivilEx

In my own extended family I have a brother in law with an Ioniq 5 and and another BIL with an ID4. In chatting with them over the last couple of years on their experience, both are happy with their cars and the range for both in real life seems to be roughly the same. The only issue I have heard from them relates to longer trips as the Ioniq 5 will charge much faster (>200kW) even in cold weather.

The ID4 side of the family is always more likely to bring their second car (an ICE) on longer trips because of an inability to precondition the battery for DC charging and because of this it was very slow to charge (<50kW) in colder weather during the winter. That was too slow for them while trying to keep kids entertained for an hour at a charger. If charging speed is important to you, check to make sure that any ID4 you look at now has the up to date software that allows battery preconditioning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I moved from an ID3 to an Ioniq 5 so can't give a direct comparison but very happy with the Ioniq 5 and didn't ever consider the ID4. I guess depends on spec level but I think the Ioniq interior is nicer.

As mentioned Ioniq charges faster but also there is a 5-year warranty versus 3-year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Then I’d remove VW from the choice here due to the disgusting past with Hitler and all of that if you base your purchases on CEO’s or the behaviour of board members (Dieselgate).

I’d have the Ioniq 5 but it would have to be the bigger battery and the higher trim level to make up for the relatively speaking, lower performing 204bhp motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭joe1303l

You should also consider their respective sister cars EV6 and Enyaq ?

Be careful, you’ll be accused of the “Such a hilariously typical boards response” for even mentioning a different type of car!

• Advertisement

Won’t bother me but I’d have an Enyaq over an ID.4 any day of the week. Similarly if going Korean, I think the EV6 is the better car.

If you want a bit more power, you could get the AWD version which would be just a few k above your budget. Probably could be bargained down. 306hp and the 73kWh battery.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-5-premium-plus-73-awd-5dr-auto/36575350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I will be in the same boat end of august,slightly less budget (33K)will look at the above 2 but I will also have a look at the Audi Etron.Current mileage is 250km a week nearly all urban, need space for 2 kid seats on rare occasions.Will be trading in q2.

That’s what I’d buy if it wasn’t a MY in the mix. It’s much better looking than the ID4 (subjective) IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭prosaic

Our experience of Ioniq5
    Range is good enough for us. Blocky shape doesn't help with that but we can do 300-400 km journey without any much consideration.
    Handles really well and power is excellent in AWD version. The long wheel base makes some turns harder but hardly anything inconvenient for us. The i-pedal driving mode is what I use all the time, except when on cruise control. Increasing/decreasing cruise speed goes either in steps of 1 km/h or 10 km/h for long press. I wish it would gradually increase the step-rate.
    Lane tracking is good mostly but you have to be ready to correct as it occasionally veers where markings are bad/odd or too narrow/wide/missing. It will rapidly slow where it thinks there's an obstacle, e.g. a parked car on your side of the road, facing towards you. Warnings when changing lanes are quite good. Auto lane-change function is finicky. Map for Ireland shows townlands rather than towns which is bizarre and amusing. But we know Ireland so it doesn't bother much.
    We find it really spacious and pleasant, not at all bland (suggested above). Being able to easily scoot across from driver side to passenger side is handy - I can't recall, is there a big console in ID4?
    Rain/visibility management could be a good deal better. Back windows mists over in any kind of wet. Really needs a rear wiper. Front wipers blades aren't super but ok (maybe blade is too rigid?). I haven't figured out how to set intermittent/light rain function so it works well with low rain levels.
    The Bose speakers are great up front. The back speakers are really low volume which is quite annoying. No idea why they are so poor.
    Storage space is very good. The boot roll-up cover is a tad flimsy and you hear stuff sliding about when it isn't somewhat filled. You can get a net to hold stuff down. The roll-up cover is handy when you need to bung in tons of stuff.
    Info/mgmt system is a bit clunky and takes while to turn on sometimes. But it does what you need reasonably quickly. Could do with faster access to some things like seat warmer and charge-limit setting.
    Overall, very happy with it so far. We're keeping it for a long time into the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Except you can’t see at speed you are doing in the Y without taking your eye off the road 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

My wife owns an ID4 and our neighbours owns an Ioniq 5. The Ioniq 5 has gone back to the garage 7 times with glitches. Both 2022 models. ID4 isn't perfect but its less likely to go wrong.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't considered preconditioning. Seems like an important one alright

No different to any other car I would have thought. Unless there’s a HUD present.
    i5

MY

The Enyaq is a nice car alright, I haven't seen good ones within budget however. I might give it another look.

• Advertisement

The good ones are the sportline, 80 version with a sunroof IMO.

Yea the etron does look very nice. Im an Audi fan myself, loved the A3 sportsback I used to have but from what I can see the value just isnt within my budget for one this go around.

That is tempting alright, a bit over budget but does look very nice.

Thanks for all that. I was wondering what the visibility in rain without the rear wiper was like. Its not like we have a shortage of rain in the summer, never mind winter.

That sounds pretty terrible. Do you know why the 5 had to go back so much? for example was it one issue they couldnt fix or a whole series of problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Where are they going in Ireland that they need a charging stop of an hour mid route to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭denismc

We have an Ioniq 5 and an ID3, both fantastic cars.

The matrix lights on the VWs are much better than the Hyundai LEDs but the infotainment system in the VW is very clunky and not at all intuitive.

Ioniq 5 is a super motorway cruiser, the fast charging with pre-conditioning makes long journeys very stress free.

Reliability, both cars have been great, the Ioniq 5 has been in for a few recalls which where mostly software to do with the known ICCU issue which Hyundai finally seems to be getting to grips with

The only real way to choose is to drive both.

Whatever you're buying make sure all recalls have been carried out and the software is up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I guess they don't generally want an "out of spec" arrival at 1%! That's real world experience for you and justification for their use of an ICE rather than the ID4. The recurring trip they do is Sligo to Sneem in Kerry, so it is a bit of a haul to be fair.

I think they were caught once with a long charge on a frosty winters night and said "never again".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I just can't see anyone going to 1% in an EV that can do 100kw+ charging unless they are on their own doorstep. All its needs a splash and go enroute.

Arriving with 10% a 52kw ID4 can do that trip in two stops and a 77kw in one stop of 10 mins. (Approx) And I'm probably being conservative.

I know a couple of families that bring two ICEs on holidays. So I'm not saying people don't do that, or just decide not to bother with the EV if they an ICE.

But I don't understand driving past rapid chargers, and to go from 100% to 1% is very much an ICE mindset. I would expect an EV driver to stay 20-80 with a couple of short fast charges and arrive with 30%.

Ireland not that big with a modern EV like the ID4...

Advertisement