Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - how to access/sell/transfer shares I hold with Computershare

Options
  • 03-07-2024 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all,

Assistance needed wrt getting access to shares that I once held/still hold with Computershare.

Summary timeline –

Circa 2008 bought €1,000 of Kingspan shares using Computershare.

2024 – had bought various other shares, (sadly including 4D pharma), that all tanked to a loss of about €4,000. Kingspan shares now worth approx €10, 000.

2024 – took a notion of selling off approx €5,000 of Kingspan shares to (CGT) offset the losses of the other shares.

2024 – went on to Computershare online investor centre to sell the shares

17/04/24 – Couldn’t sell the shares - C’SHARE – As a result of Brexit Computershare does not offer any share dealing for this company. Appoint a bank or stockbroker and hand over your physical share certificate and they will contact us to finalise the transfer.

10/06/24 – I tried to get the shares over to Degiro, who I have an account with - C’SHARE – we are not a stockbroker or bank, we are the share registrar and the shares are held on the certificates share register not in a broker account. We do not initiate share transfers from our register to a broker as they could complete this from their side.

11/06/24 – DEGIRO – Cannot proceed with portfolio transfer as Computershare does not support the transfer method.

28/06/24 – C’SHARE - Cannot do overseas dealing.

29/06/24 - C’SHARE - do not offer a share dealing facility for (DEGIRO), contact a bank, financial advisor or stockbroker.

Questions for you please…

1 – am I right in deducing from the above that I am as well just cutting all ties with Computershare, and the best way to do this is to sell ALL my Kingspan shares.

2 – if that is the case, is there any best approach to a bank or broker, or would they all know what steps to take if I contact them?

Finally I suppose, if there are any alarm bells ringing around any of the narrative above, I would be grateful to be advised how to avoid pitfalls.

My ‘buy shares with computershare, time in the market, and sell them later’ plan is evidently not as simple as I had hoped.

GRMA.

A

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

See here; and yes it is a nightmare to deal with apparently (no personal experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CKError

Hey, I ran into something similar when I tried to deal with Computershare. From my experience, you’re right—if Computershare isn’t letting you sell the shares, the best bet is to just work with a broker or bank to get it sorted.

I went through the same thing a while back and found that most brokers know exactly what to do in these situations. Just reach out to a few and compare their fees and services.

One thing I learned is to be clear about any fees or steps involved before you sign up with anyone. It can save you some headaches later on.

Advertisement