Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back of heel pain in morning.

Options
  • 03-07-2024 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭chuckles1

Is this typically plantar fasciitis? When I'm looking at that online it mostly seems to be at the bottom of the heel rather than the back where i have the pain…..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭drury..

Doesnt sound to me like pf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Achilles but best get a PT or Physio to diagnose

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

This could be a very simple/stupid suggestion but this happened to me last year, turns out I was tying my laces too tight causing little movement in my heel which ended in it getting sore. Something to be mindful of but as said above if in doubt get to a physio for confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

You need to stretch your calf buddy.

Stretching anything except the back caused more problems for me than it ever solved

Bit of massage or rolling and light strengthening work any problem areas these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭chuckles1

thanks all, on further googling probably achiles. Will do some stretching and foam rolling to see if it improves

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

I know there shouldn't be any medical advice given here, but I think this counts as a warning rather than medical advice…

Stretching can actually be a bad thing for insertional achilles tendonitis (which can present itself as heel pain in the mornings). Make sure you get proper medical advice first.

• In my experience, mine started off with a sore heel and developed into PF.. have had it now nearly a year.

Stretching the calf muscle and strengthening the calf muscle helps, particulary the strengthening, as stretching I found only temp relief!

Lay a rolled up towel on floor and put the toes of your foot on it, raise yourself up (like on tippy toes), hold and slowly down (controlled movements)

Can introduce weights, like in a backpack to add more resistance.. can YT it, loadsa vids on it.

Did some foam rolling last night after a run, calves were quite sore doing it but to be fair much less pain this morning than over the last two weeks, will keep an eye on it and go to physio if it doesn't clear up soon.

I do plenty of heel raises both straight leg and bended knee with weights so think I'm ok there.

thanks again for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Croftman

Also work on your glutes. A lot of calf problems, and hamstrings, actually come from the glutes

• Advertisement

Well that's it problems can originate elsewhere

They say 90% of knee issues are caused outside the knee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

OP you still getting this ? sounds like insertional achilles tendonitis and it’s a pox.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Its eased a bit with a little stretching post run and some foam rolling. I've noticed a bit of a sore point on the outside side of my calf (have to press on it to find it) so am wondering if that is triggering it. Nervous about doing more than 10k at the moment, so need to get it sorted.

Going to see a neuromuscular therapist who sorted out a back issue for me a few months back (lats were the issue). So that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I can only speak for myself I’ve ran with it in both feet for the last 4 years. It’s sore at the start of the run but doesn’t hurt during the run.

It’s really painful when I’m at home with my feet up for while or when I get up in the morning. I run 6/7days average around 80/90km a week.

I’ve read some positive reviews of shockwave therapy for it but haven’t done it myself.

I

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

a good physio is worth their weight in gold for the peace of mind as much as anything. I'd go see one if it's worrying you (particularly if you have any kind of event on the near horizon)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Insertional Achilles tendonopathy, I had it in both heels. It eventually finished my rugby career, I played with the pain for about 5 years.

Orthotic insoles helped though, so did difene. I did all the stretches physios gave me. But eventually enough was enough and I stopped playing and stopped running. It was beginning to have a bad effect on my quality of life but all good now, no more pain. I walk a lot now with dogs and I do weight training and it has never come back.

Exact same symptoms as you've described OP can be quite sore and I was struggling even walking in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Sounds like posterior tibial tendonopathy to me?? Is there a burning like sensation which goes under the base of your foot??

Advertisement