Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two connections to one house?

Options
  • 03-07-2024 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've gotten mixed answers about this. Two fibre installers on another message board told me it can be done no problem. A dude working for NBI didn't seem to know, but was leaning on the side of no. Tried ringing Virgin Media just there but they're not answering the phones at the moment because of team training. Not really sure who to believe.

I'm intending to go with Virgin Media 2Gb, not sure who the other bill payer in the house plans to go with yet.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I know it's possible with SIRO as I got a 2nd one for my own address. It did take a few weeks for the 2nd premises ID to reflect with the different suppliers but was possible. I did ask Eir originally for openEir FTTH and they said it wasn't possible. This was about 18 months ago now, maybe that has changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Makes no sense paying more than one, but if your house could get - phone line via Eir and cable via Virgin and Siro ready you could have 3 connections from 3 different service providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JkT1984

Cheers for the answers. Don't know about SIRO specifically because they don't have our area covered yet but, I just got off the phone with someone from Virgin Media there who told me they couldn't do it and no one else would be able to either…

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

If same line, answer is usually no.

If different line (OpenEir and Virgin) can be done without issues.

But it's cheaper to simply extend your main connection across the house than signing for another contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JkT1984

I was trying to avoid explaining why I want to do this in the first place because on the surface it's moronic, but I don't have another choice other than going with mobile broadband which I've been doing for two and a half years, and really don't want to do anymore.

Essentially, my dad works from home, and due to the nature of that work needs a steady, uninterrupted connection without slow downs, needs to run custom settings on the modem, and other stuff above my pay grade. Like I said, I've paid for my own mobile broadband for about two and a half years now, and the main motivation for doing that in the first place was the use of QoS to throttle other devices on the network, which my dad had to do for work. I don't hold it against him or anything, work is work. But I'm in no hurry to go back to dealing with that.

I on the other hand am someone who downloads a LOT, and often. Biggest downloads being stuff like games, or modlists for said games. Hundreds of GBs worth at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP leave your dad the fixed line and get yourself starlink - no limits on downloading.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

You could do fine with one connection but you'd need to replace shite provided router with something that's a bit more clever. Even simple bandwidth limit per user would work. Say if you have 100Mbps connection you can give you and your dad 50 each.

Connecting important stuff by ethernet wire as opposed to wifi, or having better wifi network would also help.

It's a shame that none of the internet providers have a service of setting up something like this for you. Ask around, maybe you can find someone who'd set it up for you for a small fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

As mentioned above you could stay with the same connection you just need to find a way to not let one user grab 100% of the available bandwidth. To set a limit.

Maybe 50 - 50 split. Or a bit more for your dad. This is a cheaper option.

Alternatively you can sign up with a different fixed connection. Can't be the same cable that your dad uses.

So if your dad is on OpenEir Fibre (1GB)

Then you need to look into OpenEir (100MB) Part-Fibre, SIRO, Virgin Media.

If alternative is not available where you live then you are out of luck. Back to Mobile/Satellite Broadband.

Advertisement