Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance is up, how do I answer this?

Options
  • 03-07-2024 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭

"Have you had any claims or accidents in the last 5 years regardless of blame?"

I did have some accidental damage caused by another party last year in which they were at fault and I claimed off their insurance. All sorted now. But I have no claims against my own insurance. I presume it's no?

Obviously don't want this to come back to bite me if I do claim and they have a different idea about how I should have answered this.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭mobby

Personally I would inform them of the circumstances and tell them the claim is settled. If you unfortunately have a big claim they can use any excuse not to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭StormForce13

You answer the question accurately and honestly. Remember that if you're renewing with the same company then they already know that you haven't claimed off your own policy. And if you're taking out insurance with a new company, then presumably they'll see from your NCB cert that your existing insurer is willing to renew your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

The other side of it is that yes, you have made a claim against another policy which was settled, so the other driver was at fault.

Rather than bolding the 'you', bold the 'any' …

If you're confused about what to do, contact your insurance company. They'll tell you what to do which will likely be declare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

They don't make it clear if it's a claim you made against your insurance or just any claim. I guess I will have to ring the insurance companies instead of using the online forms.

One question they seem to ask online if you select 'Yes' is, is the claim settled? It is settled afaik as the work was done and the amount agreed and given to the repairer. But they also state I should have a letter stating this, which I don't. I guess I need to ring the other party's insurer and request this also?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I'd agree with the advice above. They could have asked 'have you had any claims against your policy in the past 5 years' and it's significant thay they include 'regardless of blame'.

Both of which suggest to me that you need to tell them. If you're doing an online quote or renewal, this will almost certainly result in a rejection so you will have to phone them and explain.

The 'Regardless of blame' bit is explicitly saying that it's not up to you to decide which claims to declare - claims against you or where you claimed against the other guy and his insurance paid up. They want to know about every claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭POBox19

Yes to that, you've had both an accident and claim which was settled paid by the other party's insurer. If you've retained the record of it the other insurer should be able to confirm it. This shouldn't cause much trouble getting a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

I find that question very interesting, it's usually just claims against you. Claimy types are of course more likely to claim which leads to higher costs for the industry as a whole, so proper order i say. Plenty of court cases where the claimant has previously been in receipt of other claims, a lot of unlucky people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You declare that you had an accident but you did not have a claim. The only person who can claim under an insurance policy is the policyholder. In your situation, the 3rd party claimed for funds under their policy to compensate you for the damage they caused to your vehicle.

You should not be adversely affected, but I fully accept that today's call centre type insurance employees are not well versed in the principles of their trade. If you encounter any issues try and escalate it up the food

Advertisement