Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant tried to force me to pay for dish I didn’t eat

Options
  • 03-07-2024 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I went to a restaurant in Dublin the other day and ordered a carbonara from the menu.

When it arrived I got this creamy garlicky mess. There was fresh cream in it!

The menu description said “Carbonara: Delicious Italian classic pasta dish”.

I sent it back telling the waitress that “that’s not carbonara”, Carbonara has guanciale, pecorino cheese and egg yolks. No cream or garlic .

I might as well have been speaking Chinese to her. I just settled for the ham and turkey instead, I was afraid to order the steak in case they overcooked it.

When my bill arrived I was being charged for the carbonara and my roast dinner. Their logic was that there was nothing wrong with the food I originally ordered, ergo, I must pay.

I argued tooth and nail and didn’t pay in the end.

Was the restaurant not in the wrong here? They offered an item on their menu and provided something completely different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭antimatterx

if food is inedible and not up to scratch I'd not pay for it. Restaurants can't just send out any ol **** and expect payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Restaurant should have just charged for the ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Like anything, it changes over the years and whilst most stick to the classic recipe, many also do their own versions

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/learn-to-make-spaghetti-carbonara

Usually on a menu it will give further details of what is in a dish especially as so many people claim allergies to this that and the other.

In this case, if they said "classic" rather then "our take on the classic", it should follow the classic recipe and not include cream and if it did, and you refuse it, it should not be charged for and a restaurant should see it as an opportunity to correct the wording on the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wouldn't expect to be charged for the carbonara (hard to get a good one in Ireland I like dolce sicily) did it list ingredients or was it just bit you mentioned? did they say they were giving you the other meal as a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

TBH if a restaurant has both Carbonara and bacon and cabbage on the menu, I wouldn't be expecting a genuine Italian experience.😊

• Advertisement
Advertisement