Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra-Vision returning as a venue for gamers

• 03-07-2024 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Has anyone seen Reuben May's recent TikTok videos?

Basically he's a TV installer that bought the rights to the brand name and the Irish website's domain and is hoping to relaunch the chain.

Obviously the days of movie rentals are behind us, and while physical media is alive and well it's unlikely another Irish store will be able to compete with the likes of Amazon for online sales. Golden Discs and Tower Records are going strong as they've seemingly found their niche with vinyl fans and having artists perform instore, but Xtra-Vision will need to distinguish itself to evolve.

Have a look here at what the new owner is planning. Apparently these sort of gaming facilities are massive in the US and Asia.

Does anyone think he could have some success with this new model? As an Irish kid of the 90s I'd certainly love to see Xtra-Vision's name and legacy carry on, it certainly has its charm, which is a uniquely Irish one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Never heard of him and I dont bother with Tiktok. Is it just going to be just gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭UI_Paddy

RIght now it seems he's banking on the concept of a store that's mainly a gaming hub based on their success in the US and Asia, so I assume it will be just gaming initially.

Maybe if its as successful as Reuben's hoping for Xtra-Vision will be able to take some more risks by stocking 4Ks, Blu-Rays, maybe DVDs (although I think streaming has taken its place as the casual option), vinyl and CDs too.

I say that because he said he'd love more than anything for the Xtra-Vision we all grew up with to come back but he doesn't see how that would be sustainable in 2024. It most certainly wouldn't if it counted on rentals, which was huge when it was the only option for checking most movies out.

The buyer's market for discs still exists as Disney eventually learned when they finally put out their streaming shows, although unfortunately its hard for smaller businesses to be competitive in that regard. I'm part of the problem, as I've recently purchased Obi-Wan Kenobi for about €60, including shipping from Amazon and I heard Goldem Discs had it and the other Star Wars shows for €20 more. Ideally I'd like to support Irish businesses but I struggle when the price difference is that much or larger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

There's at least a dozen boutique labels (in UK, US and Australia) releasing films on BD every month. Indicator, Arrow, 88 Films, Second Sight, Severin, Radiance, 101 Films, Imprint, Code Red, Kino Lorber…..Lots of cult titles - I buy quite a few each time. Rarely see any of the UK ones stocked here and if they are, they're priced well over the odds.

DVDs still doing ok for mainstream cinema titles and some television series - although nearly everything I want has been released by now. I rarely buy DVDs now unless there's no other option.

Still buy plenty of LPs and CDs but generally online as there's none of the "We don't have it but can order it in for you" bullsh*t.

Advertisement