Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland from Canada

Options
  • 03-07-2024 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All

I'm moving to Ireland in the next months. My work office is located in Naas, but it seems that the town does not much to offer (am I wrong?), so I was thinking in living in Dublin instead.

In terms of rent, is Naas cheaper than Dublin?

How is the commute between Dublin and Naas? I will have a car at some point, but I would prefer public transport.

Would it be better live in the suburbs on the way to Naas? What neighborhood would you recommend?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You could try somewhere like Sallins or halfway between Naas/Sallins. There is a train service from there. You could cycle/drive/walk to work easily and get the train to/from Dublin when you want. There is also bus services from Naas to Dublin, but the train would be the best option and it's cheap from Sallins. If you can drive then towns like Newbridge are close to Naas and also on the same train line. Google Maps to get an idea of travel times.

20-30 mins to Dublin from Sallins depending on the service to Hewston station then bus/tram/walk to city centre.

Renting in Dublin would be more expensive than Naas/Sallins/Co. Kildare. You could always move to Dublin once you get your bearings and if you are bored etc. It'll be a much easier, cheaper and relaxed experience starting in/near Naas.

If you do move to Dublin, you'll pretty much have a quiet train/bus/car commute as you'd be commuting in the opposite direction to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭DubCount

OP, when you say Naas does not have much to offer, what do you think its missing?

Rent gets more expensive the closer to Dublin you get. Have a look at Newbridge or Kildare which are on the same train line to Dublin as Naas, and might have more of what you are looking for, possibly for cheaper rent, while still on a public transport link to both Dublin and Naas.

Also, there is a general shortage of rentals in Ireland, so be prepared to widen your net on where you will consider you want to live.

Good luck and enjoy a winter with no snow !!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Ted222

Naas is a pretty decent sized town by Ireland standards. It would have pretty much everything that most residents would want - shopping, restaurants, pubs, sports clubs, cinema etc.

Outside of the main cities, it’s pretty much as good as it gets. You could live in Dublin of course and commute to Naas by car. If traveling by car, the commute wouldn’t be difficult as you’d be traveling in the opposite direction to the morning/evening rush-hour.

I’m not convinced that Dublin has that much more to offer that it would justify the extra rent you’d pay to live there but that’s very much a personal decision for someone to make. It really depends on how much you really want to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

if you re earning a comfortable 6 figures, you should be fine anywhere, if not, theyre might be issues in regards getting accommodation, best of luck, hope you enjoy life here….

Advertisement