Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800k in cash

Options
  • 04-07-2024 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am planning to build a home in 12 - 18 months. During that time, I will accumulate approximately €800k in savings for the build.

Currently at about €300k, just sitting in an offshore account earning 0%.

I recently looked into a money market account but am not sure how to access them or how they are treated here in Ireland.

I have a trading account with Interactive Brokers and Swissquote.

Does anybody have any recommendations on where to put such funds for this short period as I wait to build?

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bank account is the obvious answer so I'd look at a high interest account in what ever country you have the cash currently. Simply google high interest country X and make sure it's under what ever the local protection scheme is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Difficult to reconcile someone with an apparently large source of income, already with accounts on trading platforms, with them asking whether there would be better investments available than 0% on a 300k sum they know they will need in 12-18 months.

Top-rated sovereign bond with that time to maturity if you want minimal risk???? Technically still a default risk, but probably actually less than wherever you have your offshore money stashed.

Might want to consider your exposure to FX risk if it is the case. Although with the income you are implying, it might not really be an issue for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Almost any savings account paying 2% right now

Advertisement