Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music for the Leaving Cert

• 04-07-2024 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭

Our daughter has been learning the piano for a few years. She's now Grade 5 and is considering taking music as a subject for the Leaving Cert. She's academically good though and we're not sure if it's worthwhile to take music. Looking at the stats and pupils do seem to get higher grades at music than other subjects. However if she takes music as a subject in school, that will have to be at expense of another subject. Is it possible/normal to take music as an extra subject outside of school?

What's the Leaving Cert music workload like for someone who has been learning music all along? Will the practical part be similar to normal Grade preparation and in effect, you've only got half a subject to study for?

She'll be Grade 6 by the time the Leaving Cert comes around. What would be a reasonable Leaving Cert grade expectation for that level of proficiency?

Basically trying to work out if the extra time spent progressing the piano is worth it at the possible expense of not doing as well at the more academic subjects she might be more likely to do better in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Doodles2016

Hello, experienced, qualified music teacher and examiner here. It is possible to take music outside of school. I would recommend a student take it outside of school if they have a good grasp of theory and are disciplined. Your daughter sounds like the ideal candidate, having studied piano to a high level. 

The workload for every subject is heavy at LC, but a candidate who has a strong understanding of music theory and grade 5/6 level in instrumental exams should find the subject easier than someone who would not. Students like this generally enjoy the subject thoroughly and if they have a genuine interest in music the workload will not put them off. The music practical, weighted at 50%, is an enormous part of a students grade. I’m sure your daughter would be of an excellent standard when her practical rolled around, and in a great place to achieve 50%. 

There are two papers for music, composing and listening. Composing is very predictable and formulaic and if students have a good ear and theoretical understanding, they will do very well. The listening paper is made up of four set works, Mozart, Berlioz, Seachanges and The Beatles. Students study elements of Irish traditional music and the paper features an unprepared listening section, for which she would be at an advantage. While the scores take the biggest amount of time to prepare, practicing exam papers would guarantee a strong grade at LC. I have known students to complete the course over one year or two, but it is much less pressurised if done over two. 

Music is highly highly worthwhile to study as a student who is musical and plays an instrument to a decent standard beforehand. A genuine interest in the subject is necessary to guarantee a high grade, but the emphasis placed on practical music makes it worthwhile for a musician. She would be a strong candidate for the subject. 

I am available over the summer if she wanted to get a head start on prep etc. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

I know people in the past who took on other subjects outside school and it really seemed a bit much unless the school didnt offer said subject and was required .

Can I ask at what subject she would be taking music a the expense of ?

There isn't a huge pile of subjects that are "required" for 3rd level courses some help but not really needed of the top of my head ,chemistry is the main subject needed for science subjects in most cases(not even sure physics is required for the physics courses, but it could be as not all schools offer physics !! ) ,art for art subject ,music for music etc with a subject and language* and high grade of maths depending on the institution , I've been here with my kids and both kept music on in school as it was an easier high grade for them to achieve due to being at various grades on other instruments.

pick subjects that get her the points required and best aligned to the course she wants if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sorry, I should have mentioned that she's going into 3rd year, so not yet having to make a decision about LC subjects. But we'd like to educate ourselves a bit beforehand and have some time to think about how it could work. A future career in music is more of a possibility than a probability, so by the time the LC comes around she would probably be doing music as a points getter rather than being a required subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, it answers every question we had and a few more we would have had in due course.

Advertisement