Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackpot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I like both but that trailer does nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I enjoyed Feig's last couple of films. This looks fairly lackluster, particularly if those were the best bits in the trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Truly, TV looks like movies now while movies look like TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

For sure. You have expensive TV shows with stellar casts really giving viewers something to sink their teeth into. Shows with pre-defined story-arcs with a very definite start, middle and finish. As opposed to previously where shows just went on and on and on until they were eventually cancelled as viewer numbers dropped and storylines became more outlandish. (Entire seasons being written off as dreams, UFOs, brainwashing, evil twins etc. And these were in American soap operas like Dallas and Dynasty).

Now shows tend to have 1-3 season plans right from the start and go out on top. So you have meaty TV shows for the "Water Cooler" moments. To get people to continue paying for their streaming service. And you have… well… filler like this to have a flashy showreel/advertisement. There is that other one "Red One"? which, even though it is going to the cinema, looks like it was MADE for a November/Christmas streamer release. That awful looking Borderlands movie looking like a not-so-cheap streamer knock-off of Guardians of The Galaxy.

Basically the movies are the shiny, flashy content fodder and seem designed for a very short cinema shelf-life before moving to a streaming platform. But once they have lured people in with a month's free trial and the latest John Cena or Dwayne Johnson or whoever movie, they hold on to people by interesting TV series catalogue.

Advertisement