Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower supply with pump/upgrade

Options
  • 05-07-2024 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I have a shower that gets its hot water from immersion cylinder and is powered by a pump. When any taps are turned on (except mains in kitchen) the water from the shower gets hotter.

So, in doing a complete shower revamp, I want to rid the problem of the shower water supply getting hotter when a tap is turned on. The pump powers the bath, taps and toilets throughout the house. Would any one have suggestions onwhat the best way would be to proceed on upgrading the shower?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm assuming your existing shower isn't a thermoststic shower. Replacing it with a decent thermostatic shower should resolve the issue (unless something wrong with the plumbing in the house). To future proof it I would go with a bar mixer. These are super easy to replace in years to com. So easy you could replace it yourself. I would go with a Mira one. They don't make a good electric shower but Mira do produce quality cartridge showers. They also stock parts for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭leinster93

It's a thermostatic shower. The problem is the plumbing. All sink taps, bath and toilet are on the same line as the shower which is why the shower gets too hot if they are turned on.

Since posting, I've figured I need an independent feed for both the hot and cold water to the shower but it seems I will have to have a second pump.

Not sure what the solution is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sjones12121994
    Plumber

To upgrade your shower and prevent it from getting hotter when other taps are turned on, consider these options:

1. Install a thermostatic mixer valve: This ensures a consistent water temperature by mixing hot and cold water to your set preference, even if other taps are in use.
    2. Upgrade to a more powerful pump: A stronger pump can maintain pressure and temperature better.
    3. Use a separate pump for the shower: This isolates the shower from other water sources, ensuring consistent temperature and pressure.

Consult with a plumber to determine the best solution for your specific setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

Or get rid of the spouse if they don't unsterstand not using the taps when someone is using the shower.

If I run a cold feed from the tank and left the hot feed from the pump I'm wondering if that would resolve the problem.

I have now figured that it only gets too hot when the cold taps or toilets are drawn. The thermostatic mixer valve could be the way to go though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭John.G

Are you pumping both the hot and cold supplies, what is the make/model of your pump?

The pump is a stuart turner monsoon 2 bar.

As it is now, the cold feed from the tank is routed through the pump and the hot feed from the cylinder also. There is a thermostatic mixer but it doesn't balance the mix when the cold feed is drawn from either the taps or toilets.

If I replace the shower with a decent brand that has a thermostatic mixer valve I should resolve the problem.

I'm considering something of this type

grohe-tempesta-cosmo-210-rain-shower-system-set-with-thermostat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭John.G

If the shower only is running does the temperature change when you change the setting and if you then open say one cold (or hot) tap then the temperature should remain constant but the flow should decrease somewhat, if not, a new thermostatic cartridge might help. If considering a new thermostatic shower ensure that it will work with a differential pressure of 1bar.

Advertisement