Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus drivers and cyclists

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I chose where I live because it's right on a main road into town: out the gate and immediately plugged into an artery. I'm not going to go navigating side streets to find gentler traffic, on a route that ends at Harolds Cross anyway. And that's before you get into surface quality and whether anyone's cleaning the broken glass off it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never had the option of an official 'quiet route' but i'd regard them as an option maybe for children to get to school?

i'm dubious as to whether they'd actually be safer anyway. i also live on one of the main roads in and out of the city centre, and the notion i'd stray into a bunch of housing estates to keep off it is not something that i'd give any time to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes I don’t have any issue with the concept of quiet streets, as you say they could be good for kids, but what I worry about is when they plan to actually remove existing cycling infrastructure from the main routes.

Take this street, looking at the BsConnects plans, they are not not going to remove the existing (admittedly poor) cycle lane and replace it with parking spaces!! Crazy, you couldn’t make it up.

So now the cyclists who choose not to use the quiet street will instead have to cycle right in the middle of the general traffic lane blocking and potentially slowing down buses, etc.

Same over on Malahide Road, under the BusConnects plan they will remove the existing cycle lane, plus the nice new cycle junction that they just finished building as part of the C2CC, complete madness!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement