Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB want to erect a pole in our land. Any entitlement to compensation?

Options
  • 05-07-2024 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭

The man that called us said no monetary compensation would be given. Just a few gates maybe. He says they are legally entitled to erect a pole. It's for a transformer. The power line has nothing to do with us. Has anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

This may be of interest … https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/what-are-my-rights-in-relation-to-the-installation-of-an-electricity-pole-on-my-land-1.4242013

No idea of the actual legalities, just a story I came across a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Make sure to engage with them, you might be able to get them to put the pole up against a hedge rather than in the middle of the field even if it means them putting up a second pole. Costs don't really come onto the equation with th ESB, if they see the benifit they will do it. Also if there is a transformer going on the pole then it must be to supply a house or building close by, and with a transformer usually comes a stay and earths.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Aravo

Where will the transformer be located. I pass by an old now and again and it's always buzzing. Will the proposed location result in the loss of any trees. Will they replace them. Had a ESB contractor out recently maintaining there line and they left branches lying on top of my newly erected post and wire fence. Other branches were left hanging, in that they were cut and dropped on a lower branch and just left there. Will fall at some stage. What happens to cut material? Would be a good Q. Let them take it away is my answer. If the pole has to go it insist it goes in boundary and not in middle of field. Also will there be wire stays and what direction will they be located. Will the wire stay affect machinery as it could be a route to another field.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

On the off chance you’re planting forestry in the field where the power lines are going, then there’s compensation alright. You can’t plant under the power lines so the ESB pay for your loss of production.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I had a pole put up in my own field for me. They put the stay wire in the ditch and the pole out in the field, a few yards.

His Justification was the tractor driver is more likely to see the pole, and less likely to see the stay wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

but it is handier in the ditch for straining wire 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭raindodger

the stays are actually worse than the poles

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Interesting, but does this come into play for existing lines? I happen to have a 5 acre field that must hold a record for the number of poles in it at 7 poles, 3 of the poles have stays. Two seperate power lines going in different directions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭tanko

There’s no compensation for the standard poles but there’s a high powered line near me with the big four legged pylons carrying two or three power lines, there is a payment for having these on your land, not sure is it a one off or annual payment. The ESB are usually accommodating when it comes to putting the poles along ditches etc if you ask to get them moved i find. Some of the contractors that cut trees etc under lines can be ignorant clowns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It depends on the distance involved. Can’t remember the cut-off but below a certain distance there’s no compensation

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The pole is proposed to be put in a corner of the field that wouldn't matter to be honest. I had been just wondering would there be any compensation. I hadn't asked him about stay wires, but it wouldn't matter much where its going. The ESB man says no compensation, but he could probably get us a few gates as a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Fair enough,a few good old poles to hang them with won't go astray either…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

When they replace a pole, they leave it the old ones lying there, without a by your leave either.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

You normally have to sign for them now before they leave them or otherwise they can be liable for any damage done to machinery etc. by the pole. Probably doesn't happen in all cases but my contractor had to claim a new mower off ESB Networks a few years back as he struck a discarded pole. ESB tried to throw the blame on the farmer but there was no paperwork showing that he had signed for it so they were fully liable. Mind you it took 2 years to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,646 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I taught I saw something lately where they have to take away the poles now because of the creosote. It seems it has got much harder to get them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭DBK1

ESB changed a couple of poles on some of my ground last winter and left the old ones behind anyway.

The crowds subbed in by Eir to change their poles take them all away with them. There were a few being changed right outside my house last summer and I asked would they throw the old ones over the ditch and leave them there and I was told no, they take them away.

However I was given the option of buying them back for €30 cash per pole from the lorry driver and he’d leave them in the yard at that so it seems to be a perk of the job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭green daries

Advertisement