Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer Civil Service Tests

• 05-07-2024 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I've applied for the clerical officer role in the civil service. However, I'm worried I will fail the selection process. I've done the practice tests and performed very badly on them. I scraped a bare pass on verbal and mathematical reasoning and failed the categorising information and error checking ones. I tried the error checking one a few times with only an incremental increase in the score. I have a PhD (in arts and humanities) and an MSc but have always done terribly on aptitude tests. Are the actual tests like these and does it require a more rational, facts and figures type mind to pass them? I have the offer of a teaching course in the UK but I have problems keeping up with "the pace" of work and autism which makes me think I will fail the course (I accepted the offer as I have only found employment in education up to now). I was hoping the civil service would be a safe haven where I could function but I doubt my ability to pass the selection process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm guessing I'm much older than you, OP (got my arts degree in the 1990s), and I've had mixed experience with the CS aptitude tests.

I had a tilt at both the CO and EO last year and performed far better in the EO open competition.

I know the EO competition came after the CO comp, so maybe all I needed was practice?

I'd say, keep practising and treat this as a numbers game, just see if you can build upon the test run you did, eg, earlier this week.

Also, would you consider going for the EO comp, which is currently accepting applications?

Advertisement