Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel over unsightly concrete

Options
  • 05-07-2024 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Hi ,I want to cover some old and cracked concrete ,I was thinking of using decorative stone and gravel mats ,it only get very light footfall ,it's 20msq ,would a ton bag cover it ,I got a quote of 750 for gravel and mats which sounds crazy ,was quoted 3 bulk bags ,does that sound right ?would I get away without the mats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Find product, e.g. this.

Read installation instructions, e.g. these. They will describe the type and volume of gravel required. Those say 1m3 per 20sqm.

A bulk bag is about 0.5m3.

Three bags sounds too much, one not enough.

Decorative gravel varies wildly in price. Make sure you get the right size for the grid you're using and that you like the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I suppose it depends too where you are and access to materials. I can buy ton bags of gravel locally but I can also get it loose on the back of his truck which is much cheaper. Now it was limited to the sort the quarry locally sold rather than the fancier gravels but if that doesn't matter to you that much might be an option. It cost me 40 euro per ton and I got 5 delivered, they just tipped up the truck. No mats though!

On the other hand the decorative blue stone gravel I got for a smaller area was 120 for the ton bag, a bag of slate cost me 230 so there is a huge variation depending on what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Thanks ,because it's an area at the bottom of the garden and out if sight I'll check out the ton bag option ,2 tons seems a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Thanks Lumen ,the instructions you sent me suggests 1m bag covers 20 sq meters so that should be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bulk bags tend not to be 1m3. They're generally .8x.8x.8, which is about 0.5m3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Should be fine if you want it one inch deep and don't mind it looking like a comb over after the first shower.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement