Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

More useful information...

Around half of the journeys to work took less than 30 minutes (49%).

• More than half of the people who drove a car to work had a commute of less than 30 minutes (55%).
    • A further 32% spent between 30 and 60 minutes driving to work while 10% spent over an hour.
    • Journeys by train, DART or LUAS took the longest, with an average of 52 minutes.
    • Journeys to work on foot were the shortest, with 44% of journeys taking less than 15 minutes and an average journey time of 17 minutes.
    • The average time of a journey by bike was 23 minutes, with 66% of journeys taking less than 30 minutes.
    • Travelling to work by bus took an average of 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Does the data capture average distance or location?

What would take an hour to commute in Dublin may only take 15 minutes elsewhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 The Mathematician

Yes, it gives the distance by county and the travel time by county.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

My commute is a 5 min walk and a min drive. I would never live in Dublin unless making crazy figures. I would much rather take a less-paying job than torture myself with a commute. One hour is not the end of the world but still, it's a waste of time. House prices outside the capital are way more affordable too so it all works out. My rent is 500e per month for a 3-bed house don't think you would get that anywhere in Dublin nowadays. And Ireland is a small country so even if you are originally from Dublin and have a family there you can drive down in 2 to 3 hours in most cases. Only a handful of my friends got a mortgage exceeding 1k a month but have massive houses. Dublin was fun back in the good old college days but wouldn't suit me now with a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Similar enough situation here.

I've turned down better jobs and more money because they involved a long commute. Mine is 20 mins each way, 3 days a week.

When you factor in the cost in petrol, tolls and car maintenance I'd want at least another 10k a year, but my time is pricesless. Getting up at 7.30am and being in work at 8.30am. Out the door at 5.30pm and home before 6, with plenty of time to eat with my family, then gym or call over to friends, or do some hobby stuff. It makes the weekends better too since most of.my chores are doing during the week. Usually there's no piles of washing or cleaning to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to expand upon my earlier post a bit having read more of the experiences from others.

My commute previously was about 95% motorway door to door with only about 5 minutes either side of local roads. I also drive a comfortable car well suited to that sort of commute so even when I was in the office, it was almost always an easy journey (again travelling outside the peak times definitely helped).

With this new job though, it can take as long to get from the M50 into the city as it does to get from my house to the M50. It also means getting up almost 2 hours earlier than I would previously and what should be an 8/9 hour day becomes a 12/13 hour one instead. Public transport isn't a runner as it would just be an added cost for an even more inconvenient and stressful experience. Plus I'd still have to drive to it anyway, find/pay for parking etc too.

As I said, the change was more out of necessity rather than choice but several years of being just as productive (generally more so) remotely has given me a whole new perspective on it all. Previously (before covid) I was doing up to 1300km a week in the car and often felt like my home was essentially more like a B&B during the week, plus I was eating worse than I usually do because of being too tired to bother making something when I'd get in.

I've gently tried to feel out what the options might be, but not getting very far. I think I'll take some of the advice here and start looking at what might be more local-ish, or at least on my side of the M50 anyway. I'm already resenting the (IMO of course) pointlessness of it now - what will it be like in the dark evenings of autumn and winter.

Good thread though, and a lot more balanced than most. Unfortunately there are many of us who have these situations and choices but it's good to read other experiences as well.

Advertisement