Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air B&B

Options
  • 06-07-2024 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi all,

We're in the process of building an air b & b, hoping to have it ready in a few weeks. We really want to make it work and to be affordable and family friendly with the hopes that good customers will return.

My question to you all is, for anyone that has stayed in an air b & b what particular things stood out for you? Nice touches etc?

And for anyone booking one, what would you look for in an air b & b?

Thanks in advance for all your replies, every response will be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

an EV charger. You can charge a rate of like 40c/kwh. You won’t make a loss, you’ll make a few cents but attract more business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

A Guest Manual - something that has local attractions, supermarkets, restaurants etc.

Emergency services contact details. Local transportation timetables (if applicable).

Washer/dryer (essential for families)

Wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Always leave a review for guests. I stayed in one last year that never left a review. Place was left cleaner than we got it and no complaints at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Great idea hadnt even considered that. Thank you.

Have all of these on the list, thanks for your suggestions 😃

Very valid point. It works both ways. Good on ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

As above, guest manual and include local doctor, dentist, night doctor, nearest hospital and vets.

Allow small dogs - this can get off season guests.

Decent mattress and bed linen. At least 300 thread count. We used Emma mattresses.

Good towels and change them every year. Give old ones to animal shelter.

Decent coffee. Nespresso pod machine probably best. Not the vertuo as they can't get pods in local supermarket for those machines.

A check list of things to do / clean / change on turnarounds.

EV charger probably a must have these days. Just charge a €5-€10 per night flat rate if they want it available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Apart from all the obvious (like clean cutlery, plates, pans which some air bnb's think is optional) - things like salt, pepper, sugar, milk, tea & coffee, washing up liquid, tea towels, detergent are all little things that add a nice touch
    Netflix especially if you are expecting families to entertain the kids
    Plug adaptors
    Cheap bottle of wine

All the above I get in my regular vacation Air BnB - and I think is the reason it's booked out 52 weeks of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

flexible check in / out times , maybe a bottle of water , pint of milk in the fridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

USB cables for charging phones, you'd be surprised how many people forget theirs.

You can get a sort of 3 in 1 one quite cheaply. Get a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShadowSA

The basics plus milk, often that is forgotten about.

We stayed in an air bnb recently, hosts started mowing the lawn and making loads of noise but because they notified us of the noise beforehand you feel like it's okay… Communication goes a long way.

Hot tub if possible attacts people.

Good on ya..never actually thought to mention the dentist. And also a great plan with the EV fee. We're not gonna allow pets. Thanks for your reply 😃 very helpful.

Fantastic info thank you. Plug adaptors definitely a great idea.

Ya if there's no other bookings on check in/check out days I'm definitely going to inform the guests that they can be as flexible as they want. Especially with kids it makes things a bit easier. Thank you

Very very good idea. We actually put usb plugs besides the beds too so we'd only need the leads. Thank you

That's a very good point. Something I would never think of. We have a hot tub that we are thinking of using for it too😃

Thanks for all your replies.. very helpful 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

For me, I want somewhere I can check in/check out with no fuss, ideally not even meeting the host if possible (key lock boxes/etc have been used in the past).

Simple and obvious one, but one I notice loads make mistakes in - good, clear photos of the interior of the house, showing all of the rooms, but also good clear photos of the outside. You don't want to make it look like it's a standalone unit if it's actually at the back of somebody's house or something like that.

A smart TV with apps - I don't mind having to log into my own Netflix if I'm staying somewhere, but it's nice being able to use smart apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

secure, clean and tidy back yard or garden if you want it to be family friendly. High chair, travel cot and stair gates.
    List of local takeaway/food delivery restaurants nearby and menus.
    selection of board games/books for wet weather days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I wouldn't bother with detergent as this is personal choice for lots of people.

Hand soap and plenty of toilet rolls.

I'd try and keep cleaning fees as low as possible. I've seen instances where the cleaning fees are equivalent to a night's accommodation. It's one of the main reasons I've stopped using AirBnB - fees on a par with a 4 star hotel.

Great thank you. I'm hoping to get professional photos done and we've bought 4 smart T.Vs, they're the way forward. Thanks for your advice.

Yes aiming for family friendly so that's exactly my plan. Thank you.

This was my thoughts exactly on detergent whereas others leave it. I also think the same about ketchup etc. I donno if I'd like to go to a place finding all used stuff. When we're booking self catering we tend to pack all them bits ourselves anyway. Hand soap and toilet roll I totally agree. With regards the air b&b fee for now I think we're going to advertise on other sites to see how we get on. Somewhere where ppl can avoid any extra fees. Things are expensive enough as they as. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you have extra fees that will always be charged (eg cleaning), just lump it into the main fee.

If I am getting tickets on ticketmaster, I'd be happier paying €100 for a ticket with no fees as against paying €90 for a ticket with €10 fees. It just feels worse, even when it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As an occasional AirBnB host (spare room in our own house), I would second the point about cleaning fees. We got rid of ours a good while ago.

Small supply of feminine hygiene products always appreciated and also those sanitary bags you find in hotels. You can get them on Amazon.

100% know what you mean!

Excellent idea thank you. I hadn't even thought about adding on cleaning fees anyway🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Stayed in one recently, they left a sheet with recommendations for restaurants, cafes, supermarket, pharmacy etc. Also I 2nd the good coffee machine suggestion. I'd also say if possible to have the checkout time as late as possible, often I'll pick the place that will let me stay until 12 instead of out by 10.

Yes I have a lovely information booklet done up with all that info. It's a very popular tourist town so it has a good lot in it. My husband thinks it's too much but as I said they don't have to read it. and if I went somewhere with our kids I'd like to know where the good playgrounds, swimming pools, entertainment etc is.

Will 100% offer late check out if no check in that day as it wouldn't put me up or down for cleaning it. But unfortunately if there's a check in it wouldn't be possible as I would hate to rush the clean. Thank you for your reply, very helpful to hear ppls thoughts. Will def put in a coffee machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭samo

luggage storage, if it’s possible to check-in bags early or late - this will also sometimes swing it for me. (That’s more of a city break thing though to be fair, as perhaps your clientele are mostly driving !) But it also solves the check-in part as well. It’s a pain to have to go find luggage storage facilities if a few hours to kill so flexibility there always appreciated.

I’d fully agree about the local recommendations booklet, especially if your more rural, some nice places to go see a sunset, or scenic walk, plus recommendations for coffee, local pubs, restaurants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

Provide more than one access key/s.

Ya I think most of our clientelle will be drivers as we are in the countryside but would absolutely have no problem storing luggage if needs be. Thank you for your reply.

Definitely something I hadn't thought of and definitely something that is needed. Thank you

Advertisement