Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SA vs Ireland First Test 2024 - The World Champions vs The Best Team in the World

Options
  • 06-07-2024 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭

(yes, the thread title is a joke)

After the weirdest, longest build-up to a summer test that I can ever remember, it's finally game day.

I think SA will have too much for us here, a very strong team and our absentees are pretty pivotal. I think both Leinster and Munster looked very flat finishing the season and I would worry that the game could get away from us in the final quarter.

But there's plenty of interest outside the result - Craig Casey finally gets his shot at the big time and Jamie Osborne does likewise, even if he took a shorter route to get here. It's also a huge day for Crowley, the biggest test so far of his credentials as a real successor to Sexton. Win or lose, we're going to learn a lot.

Just as interesting is the presence of Ringrose on the bench, when he's been a fixture since Farrell took over, leaving Henshaw and Aki to fight over the 12 jersey. Maybe this means we want Henshaw's bigger presence in the 13 channel, expecting a very physical game.

Expect a LOT of kicking of contestables from South Africa, they'll be looking to get Kolbe and Arendse into the air at every opportunity, and the Bulls had a lot of success at kicking behind the back three against Leinster, so le Roux might fancy another go at this today.

Hopefully all the Boks bullsh1t is behind us and we can just get on with the match. Looking forward to it.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I desperately hope the Bok bullshit backfires and Ireland come out firing. Alas, I don't really expect them to be able to maintain it for the full match. But I'm going to go in stupidly optimistic regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Hard to see beyond a convincing Boks win. Will be interesting to see how Osborne goes at 15. The drop off from Keenan is to great. Likewise Casey - the distance up to JGP is too far for a top international team.

The Boks "mind games" though has been particularly cringey. Such an embarrassing approach to be taken by such a quality team of rugby players. I guess it must be a cultural thing, or are the SA natives also embarrassed by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Is there no tv build up to this? 4 O clock sky sports but that's kick off time isn't it? Formula 1 still on the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

anyone got a link to streaming or is it on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭techdiver

It's on Sky Sports Acton and switches to UHD/Main Event at kick off.

On the match, I'm concerned we might be demolished here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭clsmooth

2 players in SA 15 who are below 30 years old. Didn’t realise Arendse is 28.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,497 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No idea how this is going to go

Just hope it's not a trouncing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That would send a shiver down your spine...incredible. come on Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I think 38-12 or something like that to SA.

I think Irish players just want season over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Match is supposed to be on RTE Radio 1 but hurling's on there now.

Any other radio station covering it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Woof.

Got caught badly in midfield there. Our forwards and backs bunched up and we didn't have enough width.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

was there a forward pass ? In realtime it looked like it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭fitz

Far too narrow there, damage was done by the time the ball went wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Tough start there

Great restart kick.

Jaysus.

Could do without throwing passes at our players faces when we're battering away at the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Shoulder to pom head there

• Advertisement

Off the head, not a knock on. Brutal pass though.

Frustrating there, Casey a bit too slow to get the ball away from those rucks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Osborne will have no eased nerves after the opening 10.

Excellent steal from Doris to force a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Superb kick by Kolbe. Horrible one to have to deal with (or not deal with)

Great work from Doris there.

Never understand why we don't have Lowe (or Osborne) take those kicks to touch on the right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

For all the talk of Caseys speed, he is pretty ponderous around the ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Cateym

Fair play to Osborne. He did well there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement