Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SA vs Ireland First Test 2024 - The World Champions vs The Best Team in the World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Looking forward to the second game. Cracking first game. Hopefully we’re not down too many players. SA well worth the win on Saturday but we could have snatched it. Ireland showed great grit to stick in it and quality to take the chances we did. Thought Baird was excellent off the bench in both defence.

Regarding the Casey Snyman incident, I didn’t feel there was too much in it, happens numerous times a game. Casey was very unfortunate to take the brunt of the fall on the back of his head and it was exacerbated by the size difference between the two of them and the hardness of the pitch.

Just relieved it sounds likes he’s ok as we’ve all read horror stories of people on nights out being punched, falling badly and not ever regaining consciousness. I’m sure Snyman fells bad about the outcome of the tackle and would expect he’s reached out to him privately. Frustrating for Casey that he won’t get the opportunity to back up what was a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Absolute garbage, unless Kelleher has eyes in his ankles.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

On the Casey incident. I didn't think it looked that bad in real time but looking at it again it does look bad. High fives? Not a good look.

Snyman never looked or sounded the smartest guy in the world. I listened to the Rugby Pod some time back where the 'hilarious' antics of this 7 foot guy going around ripping shirts off his teammates showed how 'funny' he is. In any other environment he'd probably have been fired.

He was also one of the Mensa candidates that tried to blow themselves up at a BBQ wasn't he?

I groaned when Leinster signed him. If that's his measure he'll be binned more times than not. If he stays fit....which our Munster brethren know, is a big if.

Hopefully Casey is ok. Farrell was so annoyed it must have been a fairly bad concussion...not that any of them are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Our attack was really poor for most of the match, completely lacking the usual shape and intricacy. I think if they click next week, they'll put a big score on SA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The backs have lost JGP, Sexton, Hansen, Ringrose and Keenan from the team in last 12 months, of course Ringrose could come back in

But that’s some loss of attacking flair to replace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The whole shape was off. Guys like Lowe and Osborne are well used to being in the playmaker role, but didn't really feature at all as the 2nd receiver option. The forwards were making more plays than the backs for most of the match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The officials are nearly always doing their best. We’re lucky to still have such people willing to do this crazy job at every level of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’m pleasantly surprised by the scoreline. Thought we were going to be hammered. Porter and Furlong deserve praise for their performance at scrum-time and Doris was excellent. We know the SA players much better now with the URC. Is there anything we can do to adjust our defence to counter their superior pace out wide? The injury list is a worry, esp. Sheehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Mustve been very intimidating for the Irish team when singing the anthems and the last part of the SA anthem the singer stopped and theres a nearly 50 000 crowd singing all around you. That was a great sporting moment. I see the SA fans arent much loved in these parts, but they backed their team 100% on saturday.

The Scottish, English, Welsh and French do it all the time

I think all of those stadiums 80k+

I think it was Scotland who done it first and it’s incredible

Ireland big song is Zombie after the singer died which came from Munster, SA seem to have taken that song for reasons I’m not sure about yet

Bok fans tell everyone they are not liked, like the team do the same….not sure what that is all about, it wasn’t started by the Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On second watch, it was better than I thought. Some nice passages of play. We struggled to hold onto possession and our set piece was poor again (mostly the lineout up until Bealham came on and we conceded a couple of penalties at the scrum too). Definitely lacked some cutting edge and creativity and our skill levels absolutely aren't what they are with Hansen and Keenan there but it wasn't as bad as I originally felt.

The opening minutes (just after their try) we showed some brilliant hands with multiple tip ons just before contact which brought us 20m up to their line. We turned out due to a poor pop pass on the line. Really should have scored there.

Our tries were all really good. First and third, we got it wide after hitting them up the middle repeatedly and moving them around which gave us space. The second was a lovely set piece move with SA not knowing who was going to be the receiver off Bealham (tackler went in on Healy but Kelleher had a clear passage right through them).

We were turned over though a few times through lineouts and breakdown. Some sloppy handling too killed us. Beirne dropped a pass on the charge near their 22. Crowley threw a pass to deck behind Frawley (SA gave us a penalty at the resulting breakdown). SA also went into spoiling mode once they got 2 scores ahead, culminating in the yellow for KLA but they were egregious in their killing of our attack via offsides and not rolling.

If we ironed out those sloppy errors, I think we get a better return. Maybe another try or two. But, as a collective, we also need the backline offering more. Aki looked way off the pace. Offered little enough in attack and, at one point in the early second half, Kolisi went past him in midfield around halfway as if he wasn't there. Ringrose was anonymous in attack until he dropped the ball on the final play and the only time I generally noticed Nash in the opening 75 minutes was contesting kicks (and I think he lost every one on either side of the ball). All of them are capable of much more.

Its great wherever it happens, must be such a boost for the home team.

I think the Zombie song was a jab/mental thing during the world cup, but it shouldve stopped there. Keeping it going now is a bit lame.

Idk about other bok fans, or other countries, I was just basing it on some comments in this thread about SA fans being the least likeable and the team also being the least likeable.

How was it a jab? it's a song written by a famous person from Limerick. She died and Munster fans sung the song, then it went onto the national team because she was famous in Ireland. It was also a famous song in a very bad time in Ireland.

Like the national team with it's constant chatter in the media, both the team and the fans seem determined to say they are disliked. If you read this forum Rassie has a strong following of Irish people, not sure why after he dumped Munster at the drop of a hat.

The Irish fans are one group which wanted SA teams into the URC to make it better, other countries not so much

Honestly I think, like a lot of countries, Ireland was great when they lost all the time in rugby. Now they can beat SA the SA fans can't really deal with little old Ireland winning, hence why we see this constant chatter and even finding offence to a song from Irish fans which has nothing to do with SA in the slighest. Could be wrong of course

I think maybe you misunderstood me. Im not saying Ireland used the song as a jab or mental games. You questioned why SA took the song and started using it, I was attempting to answer that question. They changed Zombie to Rassie. Inferring Rassie is in your heads...in your heads…in your heads. But like I said, shouldve just stopped at the World Cup.

Yes, our media go overboard, and I even pointed it out before the game that I dont like it. I think rugby is much bigger in SA than in Ireland, so the media caters for their market.

I also think we just hear/see the negative stuff more because those people are loudest. Maybe I made the same mistake by seeing the same 2 or 3 people in this thread saying SA fans and team are the least likeable, and maybe others make the same mistake thinking there is some bad feelings toward Ireland from SA, when it might also just be a few loudmouths.

I did see someone sat that Bok fans got upset after the WC game because they felt the song was a slight on them and hence why they took it. THe reason it annoys people is because of the history or the song and what it is about. People died during the troubles, I lived in the middle of it and now it seems SA and their fans are making a joke of it to some people. I don't but that it how some people are seeing it.

Did the Bok team go overboard? why was Eben in the press? or DDA after he played in Ireland? you can't complain about SA media when the Bok team is feeding it

I don't like Rassie, for the carry on during the Lions tour, before that I did. Honestly his carry on shoudl of got a ban out of rugby altogether. When you have a coach like that creating fake accounts, abusing refs etc, why would you think the fans won't replicate that?

After that I couldn't really care less about SA rugby, they certainly have added some spice to the URC and made it more competitive which the competition needed, but the fans are too much online and prefer to stay a million miles away from them.

In terms of bad feeling towards Ireland, well that's been led by the SA rugby team, if the fans follow that I don't blame them. You need to look at the carry on of the coachs and the national team first, then look at the online following. If the plan is to get upset with an entire country because of what a podcast said, I think SA rugby team is going to spend a lot of time upset and doing a lot of interviews making up reasons why they are upset

but anyway, the last game was a good game. Certainly showed both team seem to be ahead of the rest of the teams playing on Saturday. Hopefully another good game at weekend and we can send off the Bok team/Rassie etc and hopefully not hear from them for a long time 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Zombie has just become one of those songs people love to sing in stadiums, a bit like Fields that you'll hear at English/Scottish soccer. games. It' actually a major compliment to Ireland the SA fans regard the Irish team as a major threat, similar to NZ over the last decade.

The SA thing isn't new. It goes back decades and there's a stereotype there going back to the infamous Spitting Image skit "I've Never Met a Nice South African". It just manifests itself in different ways now i.e. through rugby. You don't need me to highlight that SA is a very different place to Europe in terms of culture, history and economy. I'm sure that cultivates a very different mentality though which is natural.

I don't think Europeans get it as much and we generally react defensively to it. SA society is far more outspoken and confrontational, I reckon. With that said, I've worked with a number of people from SA and they were genuinely lovely.

The Zombie thing is a little infantile though, really. I saw the banners at the same with "He's in your head, Rassie,Rassie" which is obviously directed at opposition fans. But it's just another way for SA fans to big up themselves and their team whilst mocking their opponents. From what I can see, SA fans think that's absolutely fair game whilst Irish fans can be a little thin skinned about it.

Generally, SA fans don't help themselves though. I saw a clip of the Casey incident online with literally 20+ comments from SA fans stating that it was deserved as "revenge for Lambie". Which is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭FtD v2

I'll be honest with you as someone who has made some of those comments on this thread - I actually love South Africa as a country. Went there as a teenager and played rugby for a summer, and went back on my honeymoon and loved the place. It's a beautiful country, and 99% of the people I met there were kind and friendly and welcoming.

I also love the fact that rugby is king down there, and I 100% think it's good for Irish rugby that the SA sides are in the URC as it improves our teams to play against teams of the quality of SA.

I admire the incredibly strong rugby culture in SA, and respect the fact you've won 4 RWCs.

On the flip side - I've never been a particular fan of the style of rugby preferred by the most successful SA sides or domestic teams (teams like Lions and Cheetahs obvious exceptions) - I far prefer personally watching a faster paced game where players are running at space and using skills to create space rather than an incredibly attritional, set piece dominated game. It's why when I started watching Super Rugby and Tri Nations games as a 6 or 7 year old in the 1990s/2000s I naturally found myself cheering for the Kiwi and Aussie sides over the South African sides.

I also do think there is an overbearing arrogance and superiority about a lot of South African rugby fans and a tendency to dismiss other nations etc that naturally fans from those countries find patronising and annoying. It isn't every fan, obviously, but there is a really loud vocal presence online from SA fans where this is really obvious. This isn't remotely as evident with any other rugby country IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭mun1

I’ve been down to SA for 3 Munster games in the last year .

It’s a fantastic positive country in the main. The knowledge of their rugby fans is second to none, and their enthusiasm for the game is brilliant to see .

They have made the URC relevant and more enjoyable for everyone

All they wanted to talk to me about when I was there in April was the upcoming test series and how did I think it would go. They really respected the Irish players and people.

Rugby means a lot to South Africa and its people , not so much the general populace in Ireland .
    Long may the healthy rivalry continue between both teams

Jacovs, Don’t take this message board as being representative of the way Irish rugby fans perceive South Africa and its rugby teams or supporters , it can get a bit hysterical at times when the pearls are being clutched

I have gone to SA, not on a rugby trip. Was years ago in Cape town…ended up Leinster was playing leicester in a European game so was wondering around trying to find a bar showing it, found a bar down at port which stuck on the game for me. By the time game was over the whole bar was watching and had a great laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I could name one team, that was involved in the same match, who did just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Ellie Melodic Goalkeeper

Just take the loss, moaning about the refs afters a bad look

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The Snyman tackle on Casey is dreadful. He even goes in for a little nudge on the ground with his head as well, by which point Casey is out cold. It's thuggery, plain and simple.

I also didn't know or hadn't remember that incident led to the SA try. We can also see, unequivocally, that Lowe was in touch and the ball was dead. We were absolutely robbed blind by the officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah most of those are marginal enough, and would be easily missed in real time

The Snyman one just gets worse and worse though. Absolute scumbag.

Mod: Warned. Leave out the name calling

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

The only way that standards of refereeing can be improved is to high light incompetence. World rugby can do better, fans pay a lot of hard earned cash to attend and watch matches, players put their bodies on the line, we should at least get non biased decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Kelleher's leg movement was more likely caused by Kolbe latching on to that leg than trying to play the ball, when someone pulls at your leg in a ruck the natural reflex is to pull it the opposite direction.He had no clue where the ball was at that point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kelleher knows what he's doing, nowadays it's part of entering a ruck, spoil the ball at whatever cost, he can't have anything to be surprised at being penalised

The only issue is that he was being held around the neck and when the officials were reviewing Kelleher's action they missed the neck roll but we often see something similar with no arm tackles on would be try scorers being pushed into touch

• Advertisement

We didn't get the calls and it happens. Unfortunately there were a few but again, it happens. I was disappointed with the Lowe non-try intervention. That was a very unusual/rare involvement from the TMO. But I recall our try in 2022 had Sheehan kicking the ball out of the ruck which was missed by the referee at the time and we were quite happy with that to be missed (Erasmus, not so much).

The Lowe in touch thing is completely pointless. That video examines it in a forensic manner. There's very little chance the TMO (or any TMO) spots that. We were all looking at the hand. Absolutely fine with that call even if it is frustrating.

The Casey incident, yes that was disappointing as was the attitude of Pearce in his exchange with Doris after that. And I think that fed into the Doris non-try. Pearce was very snippy with Doris in that exchange.

For the help up call, Pearce initially waved it away and gave the drop out. Doris went to him and was adamant that he grounded it for a split second, asking Pearce to please check. You could sence the annoyance from Pearce in his face and in his tone when asking the TMO. He made it very clear that he had it as held up and he wanted a clear and obvious grounding to reverse the call. I think the TMO took his steer from that that and rushed through the check. Even on the replays at the time during the broadcast, it looked very likely to have been a try and worth a slowed down check of a couple of angles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement