Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking appetite for a cycling app

Options
  • 06-07-2024 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello! I'm working on an Android app to keep my mind occupied during long bike rides. It tells me interesting facts about my surroundings.

Do you think you would use something like that? Then I'd do my best to get it published (free to use for all cyclists). Otherwise I'll keep it for myself haha.

Thanks for letting me know!

Cheers

Bart

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭cletus

Id definitely give it a whirl. I'm usually boring other people with what I think are interesting facts about the area we're cycle through 😂

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unless I'm taking a photo as I'm moving, I'm not likely to be looking at my phone during a spin and it sits in my back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nakske

That's why I made the app speak in my earbuds so no need to look at the phone!

I'm not sure about the spam policy here but I'm happy to share the link to a (Google play verified) test link.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ottolwinner

is love to give it a go. I could see it Javi many more possibilities too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Make an app that reads my WhatsApps, slacks and emails to me while I'm cycling, moreso during work hours so i dont have to stop to read them... outside of work hours not so much :) it'd be good for drivers too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My Garmin 1040 allows me to receive notifications from social media including WhatsApp (as well as text messages) but I can also reply to them as I'm pedalling (with stock replies or by typing out a message).

I think other Garmin Edge devices can do this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Kurooi

You might have better luck including hiking into it. More time and free hands to look down. If you were to cover local nature flora, fauna, history and include just some pictures not so much that a person has to look down on their phone but if you're not doing any visuals those nature facts will fall flat, I feel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Id give it a craic if you PMd me the test link

I also connect my Garmin Edge or Garmin Forerunner which will popup messages from apps I didn't block ( I block Teams and allow Whatsapp) but indeed this is a feature I could definitely include in the future, thanks for the good idea!

• Advertisement

Good point, I've built the app with cyclong, running, walking and hiking in mind. While running or walking I can change the settings so that the app gives me info from within a larger radius around me, because I'm moving slower than on the bike.

I think it could even be used for horseriding, kayaking and who knows what else, haha!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Where are you getting the content to feed into the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I can't think of anything worse.

Time on bike is time not plugged into some feed.

If you are a nosey **** like me the Irish countryside is endlessly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Trekker09

An app I'd like to see would be an opt in registry of cyclists that would be prepared to assist other cyclists based on geographical areas.

….but going back to the OP. What would be useful would be a list of nearby facilities based on your current location as well as places of interest. I know I can google it but when hiking abroad I have used apps like Camino Ninja and they are great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well I know of at least two that do this [Custom way points, custom cue cards, QR codes links etc] and there are probably more out there so why the need for yet another?

For now, content is coming in from Wikipedia but I could create custom content in the future. I've enabled some toggles to cut out article sections that don't appeal to me like references etc.

Haha! I had the same idea so I've already built it into my app (wich I named TripEnhancer by the way)!

I use the Google Places api to list stores, bars, bike mechanics, hotels etc. around you.

Can you post the links to those apps? I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

You might get some content or an idea in this short thread: There's a reference within it to an interesting cycling relevant mapping.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for this link! I've already added the list of Belgian bike Repair stations and will definitely incorporate other regions if I can get the app published in the play store (still in need of some volunteer testers though)

I'll step forward as a volunteer. What framework are you developing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

(edit: not a particularly useful suggestion)

Might need a filter for Thatched cottages, Gates and Pumps, but its not fair giving photos and exact addresses of other people's domestic dwellings.

(Seeing as the OP is rather new to Boards, these are some themes from the rather niche boards.ie/cycling/photos taken on your cycle/ thread. The thread has 7000+ contributions, perhaps 3000 photos).

Post edited by Roadtoad at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'm developing in jetpack compose.

Advertisement