Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas fire

Options
  • 06-07-2024 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi. I'm very tempted to remove my gas fire to make more seating room in

my sitting room. I will get an expert to turn off the gas but I want to remove the fire surround. Its kind of a T shape, i have a picture attached. Wondering would there be pipes behind this T shape. Don't want to remove the plaster board etc to discover there are pipes for bathroom etc behind it. Is this something I should be concerned about. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, yes that's slightly unusual. It's actually the chimney breast rather than the fire surround that's T-shaped - the surround is the painted gray mantle and black marble stone nearer the fire.

From the ceiling stains you appear to have a bathroom over the sitting room alright, and there is a chance that the piping runs in this space rather than in the ceiling joists. You'd need to look at the layout of the pipes in the bathroom and then have a look at the pipe exits on the rear wall of the house and see if you can work out what's where. Does that feature carry into other rooms to the left of the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 StarBrighte

Hi. Thanks for your reply. You are right that the bathroom in above the sitting room. The T shape is only in this room. There is a staircase in the center of the house and then a kitchen to the left of the staircase. I was hoping there wasn't pipes there but it's good to know it's a possibility.

Advertisement