Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longlegs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

What does "wokey" mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Romero

Out on digital today probably in the states but I'm sure more people will be coming on here in the coming days.

Im going to watch it again as really enjoyed it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw it a few weeks ago and thought it a film of two halves. The first half was admirably strange and creepy. Perkins' odd visual and editing choices helped create this genuinely unnerving, oppressive atmosphere that was discomforting in a very intriguing way. It had an otherwordly sense to it, not a million miles away from Lynch operating in horror mode. It’s playful as well: the period detail of the Clinton portrait is funny every time you see it.

But sadly interest waned as the film went on. I think it still manages to maintain some of its atmopshere, and the craft can't be faulted. But honestly as it become sillier and indulged in more overt horror tropes I zoned out a bit. Whereas its slow, considered, creepy atmosphere was compelling for the first half, it become more of a chore in the second. Again, not without its moments and Perkins' style carries it throughout, but just wish the second half maintained that 'what is this?!' energy that was so weird and engaging. Ultimately, the hokey and ridiculous genre elements just disrupt that careful atmosphere work.

For me, it probably suffered a bit from seeing it in close succession to I Saw The TV Glow too - while that film is not a straight-up horror in the way this is, it was a lot more effective in maintaining its mood and escalating the ideas throughout.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It's usually a good sign that the person saying it is highly incurious and worth putting on ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I actually got a big Twin Peaks vibe from it. You've got that sense of good versus evil itself and the sense that it's an unwinnable battle against the devil. Plus you've got the autistic FBI detective etc.

Advertisement