Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER after solar DIY

Options
  • 07-07-2024 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

First off I want to say the BER system is a complete joke and I have no time for it.

Would absolutely sicken me to pay someone 300e to tick a few boxes.

Saying that I need to get one to get the external insulation grant of 8k euro.

I have a 24panel 6kw system installed,

Grant free but it is NC6ed etc and above board.

I've heard that inspectors won't count DIY upgrades, is this true ?

Anyone gotten one done after a DIY?

What paper work do they look for ?

I've also added 400mm of insulation to my attic since purchasing the house again DIY.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Shoog

Dont know about solar, but DIY upgrades to other systems have to be supported with receipts ideally and photo evidence of what was done. This is especially important with internal/external insulation as they can only certify what they can physically see or have proxy evidence such as photos. Without evidence they assume that it was done to minimal building code.

Since all their work is now held on a central database and their work is auditable then you can see why they would err on the side of caution.

Good thing really as it avoids the whole cash for certification which was/is so endemic in the building trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skidmarks

Well they'll have no problem seeing the solar panels 😁 and the attic insulation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you think the BER system is a joke, then why bother with the questions??

Why bother replying if you didn't read my post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They will obviously be able to see the external insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Generally with BER you need to be able to show what is there.

Eg maybe an invoice showing what panels is on the roof, or maybe a photo of the label on the panel to show that it's a 400w panel or whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Shoog

They want to see a photo with a tape measure to show the exact depth of insulation and the type.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You're not going to diy external insulation anway.

So the installer will provide certs etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i did read your post.

you think the system is a joke and it would sicken you to pay for it….

so why bother with the questions??

just get the ber to include the external insulation as is required to get the grant.

job done, hopefully your "sickness" will be offset withe the grant value.

You also have a sickness.

Its called chronic online syndrome 😂

I'll be living rent free in your head for the rest of the day. What's its BER rating ?

Plenty of empty spare in here for insulation anyway 😂🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

From memory all that is required is the spec sheet of the panel and inverter, whoever installed it is irrelevant

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just get one, doesn't matter if they include it for the grant, they probably will though when they come out and see it. The grant is for the insulation, so you just need the BER before and after, that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Did you setup a new account to be an @ss? Your OP has a lot of whining in it and you still got a lot of good advice.

If you have an issue paying someone for their professional services, then don't employ them for their services. Ticking all those boxes takes time and it helps prevent chancers from making unfounded claims about the energy efficiency of their property for grants and value reasons. If everything was a self declared system, then every property in the country would have A1 or better. Once you can show proof of insulation values and solar array kWp etc, thats all you need, but you need to show evidence and not talk out of your arse.

The only reason I didn't like paying for 2 BER certs inside of a year, was because I know how to do them myself, but had to pay for a registered assessor. If you want the grant, cough it up, or do the work without the grant and you don't need the BER at all. Your choice.

Stay Free

Advertisement