Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring doorbell not working with original chime

Options
  • 07-07-2024 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hello All

I have a ring doorbell 2nd generation that I installed in new house but when I press it the doorbell chime does not ring. I have a garo transformer. I have installed this type doorbell before in another house and it worked with original doorbell chime without any bypass cable etc. Does anyone know if this transformer can be used? Maybe it's not setup to correct voltage?

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Fairly sure that your ring doorbell requires a 16-24v AC type transformer rated for 10va.

Your transformer is only 8va and voltages of 8v or 12v ,would be more than likely that I'm not expert on ring doorbells though

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Pat201

Does the transformer above not also give option of 24v?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at the CHIME END of the run.

You may find it's set to 8V.

Getting a qualified electrician to switch the connection to the 24V tap in the box may sort you out, but not all ring doorbells manage a chime. It would be worth finding a few other bits and pieces that need an electrician around the house before calling, as callout for that alone would seem expensive.

Did this same doorbell activate a similar chime in the other house or do you recall any major differences?

Advertisement