Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "all show no go" tag.

Options
  • 07-07-2024 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

So I'm unfit and overweigth and all that comes with that from many years of not giving 2 cfuks

The thing is when I do get going all that becomes irrelevant

If im constantly in the pub and doing takeaways afterwards, literally nobody cares.

Problem is I don't do teams sports or any other physical pursuits on the side, so I'm a bit paranoid that I can come across as doing it all for show (without even being cocky about it)

Yeah it's probably overthinking and shouldn't let these things bother me, but anyone else have this problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

No one gives a ****: The 20–40–60 Rule

At 20, you are constantly worrying about what other people think of you. At 40 you wake up and say, ‘I’m not going to give a damn what other people think anymore.’ And at 60 you realize no one is thinking about you at all.”

The most important piece of information there, “Nobody is thinking about you from the very beginning.”

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭clobber

🤣 Lovely thank you. I'll bring that with me into every session

• Registered Users Posts: 24,623 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nobody is thinking about you going to the gym. If they are - unless it's a "nice one" - that's a them problem.

Give zero f**ks about possible opinions, give it socks in the gym and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

I’m a woman in my 40s and reversed the overweight / bad diet life since last year. It took me about 4 weeks to stop caring about being in a gym with loads of teenage boys, who may or may not snicker at someone their mammys age lifting 4-5 days a week beside them. (As my local gym seems to be a teenage lad magnet) - they are busy flexing in the mirror anyway, oblivious to me.

And a year later, I’m 31kgs lighter, mentally happier and healthier so it was worth getting over that 1st couple of weeks awkward feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Similar sentiments to the above. Nobody cares and if they do, they’re not worth having around you. You only get one go at life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Mr321

The main thing is to stick at it even on the days and weeks where you don't feel like doing whatever it is thats your goal. Don't worry about others. If there was no mirrors in gyms or social media to post photos on we wouldn't know the half of who was where.

Best of luck to you.

Advertisement