Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damage to parked car. Any idea on costs / options for repair

• 07-07-2024 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

To be brief the wife's car (211 Hyundai I20 only purchased last month) was parked outside our house and whilst we were away another car turning in our cul de sac hit the rear of the car. The next door neighbor came thank came out and provided assistance to the driver of the offending vehicle who was a young driver that obviously ran into a bit of difficulty when maneuvering his car. To his credit he left his name and number and earlier today we spoke. His preference is to settle the matter privately and all we want is the damage to the car repaired correctly. As per the image below can anyone provide some input as to what this may cost / involve. It does look fairly straightforward so hopefully its not too expensive for the young lad.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

All depends were you go 250 up 1000 in my recent experience on Similar damage (small bit worst as need tiny bit filler ) . I'm down in cork and place for 250 did perfect job which I was Surprised to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

Might be worth putting down your local as someone might have experience with bodyshop around your area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Their is a local chap nearby in Trim that has done work before for me so he is the first point of contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Id be asking that the entire front bumper be replaced and the wing resprayed. Have it the way it was before the accident.

It's a new enough car, get it done right don't go down the route of body filler, polish and touch up paint.

Just my personal opinion

Go get a quote yourself, bring the number back to the lad that damaged it, and if he declines, go through insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

• Advertisement

I don't think so, up to the OP, I'd just want it done properly, replaced rather than repaired

Why would you want the whole bumper replaced? Do you get enjoyment out of riding someone financially for no reason..

The bumper clearly has very minimal scuff marks and no other damage

Relax don't be taking things personally.

Nothing got to do with enjoyment, all I'm saying is the car will be in better nick with a replacement instead of getting it polished out and touched up.

Image quality isn't the best but the "scuff" on the wing looks like bare metal.

I'd like to wait and see how much it does end up costing, because scuffs can be sorted with a cheap polish kit from halfords. I think it'll need a bit more than that.

Replacing a whole rear quarter panel for one minor scuff is mental. A semi decent painter could do a like new touch up on that no problem. If cars were still made of steel panels or there was a dent I'd maybe see your point, even then cheaper and easier all round to do a repair.

No I said replace the bumper, I think a professional respray on the quarter panel.

Look these are all just opinions, spray it with a rattle can it'll probably look better than it does now.

• Advertisement

Ah, yeah I guess you're right on the bumper there seeing as they're plastic and could likely get a colour matched one for cheap off a breaker.

It won't be in better nick with a new bumper, it will make absolutely zero difference to the finished job.

No decent body shop is polishing that out and touching it up, a proper job will be to respray the whole bumper but the bumper itself looks sound and doesn't need to be replaced and will have no outcome to the quality of the job afterwards.

You seem to be thinking that unless the whole bumper is replaced all that will be done is some half assed polish and touch up job which is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joebrosaysno

If it doesnt need to be filled probably just sand back clearcoat and topcoat a bit further using maybe with a 800/1000/1500 grit and a can of high build primer before topcoat and clear (If it has clear coat) so not much money materials wise but body shop should charge approx 250-350 if it is reasonable with labour costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Hi Folks,

I do appreciate the input as I wouldn't be any sort of expert when it comes to damage repairs to cars. I'll be bring down to the local business which is very reputable and as already stated I've used on a previous occasion. I'll see what the expert recommends and take it from there. Its only the plastic bumper that has the damage, with no metal involved. Not going to screw the person financially, just want it properly repaired as the car is the wife's pride and joy.

I'll update the thread with the work that is recommended by the Body Shop.

Thanks again for input and discussion on the matter.

Post edited by Macker1 on

Yeah look fair enough I don't have the energy to be arguing, you're right I'm wrong have a nice day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Lads like him are why we've expensive insurance!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You can’t be looking for new front bumper.

There has been a small rub on the rear. It needs to be repaired correctly, but that’s it.

Completely unreasonable to be trying to stick him for a new front bumper. I think you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

My car got heavy scuff 12" on front bumper near fog light. Talked to a panel beater said it would be better to respray whole bumper rather tgst try blend it in. €250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Annoying

He's a good guy, that a fair price and to do a proper job the whole thing has to be resprayed

…..

You going to reply to the 4 others plus me now? Or is it just me!!

You're a wanker, people like you ruin society for everyone!!

You wanting to get some poor L driver who owned up and wants to pay for the damage out of their own pocket to protect their NCB to replace the whole bumper after they literally rubbed off it at walking pace... You are an utter scumbag mate, you really are

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

He should be ashamed of himself but people like this piece of work have no shame mate. Out for themselves and screw everyone else but them and unfortunately there is plenty out there like him.

We can only hope there is still decent people out there

Mind the language you little keyboard warrior.

Like I said I gave my opinion, that's all it is, it's not something to live by so calm down.

I don't go around looking to **** people over or put them out of pocket.

I looked at it and thought a new rear bumper would be needed. Other people chimed in and said a bodyshop would be able to make it like new. That's fair enough go with that.

I've had accidents myself before and insisted the other person claim off my insurance because I knew it'd be new parts put on. (backed into their car reversing out of a busy road).

You're looking for an argument attacking me after we've said our goodbyes. I'm not interested. I've said my bit you've said yours, I've admitted I was wrong let's leave it at that but feel free to keep mouthing off I won't be replying to it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

I mean in fairness if someone hit my car I’d want it repaired at whatever expense necessary to put it exactly how I had it beforehand.

Don’t give two shites what it costs the other party. Don’t hit my car if you don’t like the repair bill.

any sympathy goes out the window when you read the OP and realise it was very likely an unaccompanied learner driver too.

If they can’t manage basic driving without banging up another car they should not be driving without assistance. Ffs the OP’s neighbours had to go out and help the chap drive off without damaging more cars…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I was being a little bit facetious. The damage is to the rear of the car not the front.

Although I don’t think the damage warrants a new bumper either.

Post edited by Lenar3556 on

poor L driver who was breaking the law driving unaccompanied. In turn doing so caused damage to someone else’s brand new (to them) car.

I have to wonder would you be so belligerent and defensive of the driver if it was your car he hit? I mean the guy is so out of his depth the next door neighbours had to come out and rescue him from the mess he got himself into.

Poor L driver me fcuking hoop.

Don’t care if it was underneath the car he was driving unaccompanied without the necessary skill to do so safely and damaged someone’s property.

I don’t understand how there’s people who think the OP should seek the cheapest repair available because it’s otherwise “unfair” to the L driver.

Has no one read the OP where he states neighbours had to come and drive the chaps car out of the trouble he got himself in! I don’t mind learners driving unaccompanied when they can actually drive but this guy clearly hasn’t been driving long enough to be unsupervised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What the **** are some of ye on

My god get a grip of yourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

How do you know he was an L driver driving unaccompanied?

You're just making assumptions and stating them as facts.

”young chap” who can’t seem to drive a car to the point they need the neighbours to come rescue him?

Yeah somehow I don’t think they’re on N plates mate

• Advertisement

Tell me you have unresolved trauma without telling me you have unresolved trauma. You took that well beyond any sense of reason. Cop yerself on a small bit there.

Yeah because everyone who passes their test is an excellent driver, and I'm sure you're the pinnacle of perfection and never once made a single mistake or skirted a single rule or law in your entire life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

You're making a huge assumption here. Nowhere does the OP say the neighbour drove the young lads car for him. Could have just been giving him directions to get him away from the damaged car without doing further damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

No one told OP to go for the cheapest repair available. The easiest and most appropriate repair is to get the bumper resprayed and it will be as good as new. Theres no need for a brand new bumper to be fitted.

And why are you so angry about a Learner driver causing minor damage? Why are you assuming they were driving unaccompanied?

Accidents happen when your learning to drive. I’ve had learners on my road scratch off my car and we settled it with €250 cash and I had the bumper resprayed. My younger brother scratched the neighbours car and they sorted it through insurance. No big deal and no hard feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Regardless who or what the driver is, at the end of the day they hit another car, the power is out of their hands.

OP is entitled to go through insurance if he wants or get it done privately. the end of the day it needs to be satisfactory to the OP. So if they want to go to the hyundai garage they got it from (only last month) and they suggest a new bumper then so be it, its a lesson learnt.

OP, you are in the driving seat, do what you feel comfortable with, don't think about the person that did it. if you get a quote or 2 and there is €1000 in the difference (and the dearer one makes you feel more comfortable) tough **** don't feel sorry for them, it is what insurance is for, you arent getting anything out of it bar your car back the way it was.

I have done it twice over the years and agreed to pay cash - 1 - I rolled into the car in front and agreed on €100, 2 - I pulled out in a car park and only looked one way costing €800. the accused party has no say unless they go through insurance then its out both your hands.

• Advertisement

And this pissy "screw the plebs" D4 attitude is why I am very grateful I live in Cork. I genuinely don't know why I am bothering trying to get on the road with the likes of you and @Raichų lurking out there to shaft me and other learners for a mistake you've all made yourselves a hundred times before. Thankfully unlike you two Op has a heart with a pulse. It's entitled sh*ts like ye why we have extortionate insurance rates. No wonder I can't, as a 33 year old, find a policy less than €3,800 for 1.2L Hyundai i10.

Edit: removed someone I wrongly attributed to this messed up way of thinking.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Sorry but what a ridiculous comment. A poster, namely the one I initially directed my reply to, called someone a “wanker” along with other lovely names becuase they don’t think the OP should bend over backwards to save some eejit a few bob?

if i bought my car a month ago and someone hit it causing damage you can be sure as the sky is blue im more worried about getting it back to exactly what it was beforehand than i am their bank account and/or wishes to stay away from insurance.

Assuming they even have it. Only problem i see here myself is if you don’t think the OP should be “looking after” the person who hit his car then he’s a bollix and everyone who disagrees is a bollix too.

ETA: let’s get one thing clear as well chief, if you can’t find affordable insurance, cry more that’s your problem, but secondly if gobshites like described in the OP didn’t drive around unaccompanied, on their phone, drunk, drugs, whatever else then we wouldn’t have “accidents” every 5 mins in the country.

Yeah it’s people like myself who want their property respected and if damaged put right again who caused insurance premiums to skyrocket, it’s definitely not all the uninsured and flat out dangerous drivers causing crashes to blame. No, it’s me.

Well who do I think I am to want me car the same way I bought it. What a bollox I am.

No OP is a genuinely decent human being and as you'll see if you scroll up I didn't think calling @BlakeS94 a "wanker" was remotely warranted. You and the other fella on the other hand fit the bill perfectly, imho.

If you want to call me a wanker go right ahead mate see how much of a shite I give what a random online guy thinks of me. 🤣

Pretty sure I just did, but allright. You're a wanker.

may report you to the garda now for hate speech :(

Oh no… I'm positively quaking in my boots….. 😂

Edit: And so much for not caring what some random guy on the internet thinks of you eh?

Appreciate you standing up for me. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words definitely hurt me because I'm an anxious little boy 😂 I'm away lads mind yourselves.

Mods please close 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Getting your bumper resprayed instead of replacing it isn’t bending over backwards. Not even an insurance company would replace a bumper over a minor scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

There's a middle ground here, car should be put back before crash condition without taking the piss. Demanding new parts in the OPs case is taking the piss.

I can never understand people being so illogically precious over car bodywork.

You've a massive surface area of delicate paintwork on a fast depreciating asset thats only kept for a few years anyway, spending big money just to have it "done right" is financially stupid.

And what is "done right" anyway? Have you ever found yourself in a line of traffic and said "jaysus Mary did you see the fish eye on the bumper of that focus back there? What a fool haha".

Look at your house, a vital appreciating asset thay you and your family have to live in. Paid off over 30ish years, yet did you inspect the exterior for scratches? Did you whip out a paint depth gauge? Why not?

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement
Advertisement